Wega Mini Nova - rotary , plumbed in
Macap 7 grinder
Old Monarch Deli Grinder
Gaggia MDF grinder (for sale)
3 presspots
2 mocha pots
geedee

Postby mankini » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:18 pm

sure it is... i'm surprised noone accused him of poor palate or dirty equipment... i'm glad the wolf pack didnt treat him with utter contempt and arrogance... thats how it should be.
mankini

Postby RoloD » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:51 pm

I suppose we all draw a line somewhere when it comes to taste - I can't imagine seeing a spirited defence of, say, Camp coffee or Birds Mild here (anyone want to try?)...

Was it here or on another forum where someone said they'd never had a good cup of coffee in Italy? That astonished my, because I've seldom had a bad one - Italian espresso is the definitive coffee taste for me. But, clearly, the HasBean blends are something very different. I can respect them, but I still prefer that funkier Italian taste.

I also want to like HasBean because Steve is so enthusiastic and sincere. I actually went to my local coffee bar where they were serving his Blake blend to see if tasted any different to when I brewed it. It tasted the same, so my position hasn't changed.

OK - let diversity rule!
RoloD

Postby dr.chris » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:35 am

There is a huge difference between saying something just is rubbish and saying that you just dont like it.
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby GMRK » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:59 pm

mankini wrote:You should try some of the Algerian Coffee Store beans if you want 'coffee to taste of coffee' instead of tasting of grapefruit. They have some good dark beans that really slice through the milk. I dont think their beans are as fresh as they claim and I havent found one that I really enjoy as an out and out espresso (would prefer Monmouth)... but to cut through milk Veluto Nero or Bolivian or Gourmet Noir re very good. The Veluto has a distinct smokey flavour which becomes very mellow a few days after opening so its very pleasant.

Maybe try Coffee Bean Shop roasters in Kent, would probably be fresher than Algerian Coffee Stores as they roast and deliver to order.

They have a few espresso blends which might be something like what you're looking for and a good value four-bag special offer which changes every fortnight.

I've used them a few times and sometimes go back when I'm looking for an occassional change:

http://www.coffeebeanshop.co.uk/About-C ... n-Shop.htm
http://www.coffeebeanshop.co.uk/Coffee- ... presso.htm
http://www.coffeebeanshop.co.uk/Coffee- ... ourite.htm
http://www.coffeebeanshop.co.uk/Coffee- ... d-Java.htm

Or James Gourmet Coffee's Mezcla El Progreso (I haven't tried this just spotted it on the site)?:

http://www.jamesgourmetcoffee.com/produ ... 31&xSec=31
GMRK

Postby DrTom » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:11 am

I'm on the second day of my Mk.2 Jailbreak and I must say I'm enjoying it more than the Mk.1!

I have been away from my big machine for months so yesterday was a practice day (that's my excuse) and today I'm getting some wonderful, long shots from Jailbreak. It's a fuller taste, maybe a tiny hint of smoke.

Looking forward to finishing the bag...
DrTom

Postby sicinius » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:53 am

Well that's the point about taste innit? No one agrees about anything.

If you want hasbean coffees to taste more like 'coffee' and less like other things, all you have to do is roast them darker. Steve can talk for himself and correct me if I'm wrong but I think he likes to keep every flavour in a bean accessible which can be disturbing, like the one that tastes of sherbet lemons (Blake?). That was a bit too much for me.

So his beans are usually lighter than what you'll get from The Algerian or Higgins or Monmouth.

But I like the taste of citrus, fudge and shredded wheat in coffee. So the beans I roast are always the same colour as the ones he ships roasted because I like to try and recreate what's in his cupping notes, which has the side-benefit of letting me know I'm doing an OK job preparing it.
Isomac Zaffiro, Eureka Mignon, Isomac Gram Macinino, Aeropress, Stovetop espresso, various Moka stovetops, 3 cafetieres, 50's glass Cona. Behmor 1600.
sicinius

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping