Must try roasters of the world

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby TrevorH » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:16 pm

Ditto to the James's Gourmet and Karimikui - a beautiful coffee, from one of the very best roasters.
It's a lovely idea to try coffee from all the world's great roasters. But, I've heard that flying coffee once it's roasted can do strange things to it (air pressure in cargo holds and all that jazz), and, together with what I imagine must be significant shipping costs, freshness, and transit miles issues, it might be best to try these roasters if ever you happen to be in their home countries... And in the meantime, simply take advantage of so many different, wonderful coffees that have been skillfully roasted more locally in the UK, by those various people mentioned above... :)
http://thebeanvagrant.wordpress.com/

Work: Astoria Plus4U 3grp/Modified Anfim Super GOD (dual-preset) with doser.
Home: Mahlkonig Tanzania/Hario 480ml Woodneck/Sowden Soft Brew small/01 and 02 cup sizes plastic Hario V60/Plastic 4-hole and ceramic 3 and 2 hole one cup flat bottomed pourovers/3-6 cup Chemex/Paico Pouring kettle/Hario TCA5 syphon/Aeropress/Cafetieres/Mypressi Twist/La Pavoni Europiccola pre 2000/Stainless steel stove-top/Rancilio Rocky doserless/Ditting KR1203 (sold).
TrevorH

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:10 am

You could also try some of the offerings from the newly crowned French roasting champion!
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby MKSwing » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:38 am

Gouezeri wrote:You could also try some of the offerings from the newly crowned French roasting champion!

Roasting becames my passions.

(I can't get this joke out of my head, sorry)
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby darrensandford » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:07 pm

Steve wrote:I'm watching you roland beady eye one you :)

Calling the next new blend "Stalker" then Steve? :D
darrensandford

Postby Rujir » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:39 am

You MUST definitely try brand new czech roastery: http://www.doubleshot.cz/?___store=en&___from_store=czDoubleshot

Their coffees are just amazing! Microlots, honey coffees, etc. perfect!
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." Abraham Lincoln
Rujir

Postby RolandGlew » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:31 pm

It's slow going - had some James' Gourmet (Karamikui - yes, I agree, very nice - and La Laguna - lovely and fruity) and the four pack from Coffee Collective (I really really liked these, and arrived within a couple of days of roasting, so very impressive :) )

I'm not going to try all of those on the list - for a start, a lot of them don't offer international shipping or don't do mail order at all (assuming my Google translate is working well enough :P ). But I'm looking forward to slowly expanding my experience of international roasters as well as trying lots more UK ones :)
3 Cup Chemex, Hario Syphon, French Press, 5 Ibrik, Stove Top/Moka Pot, Pour Over, Hario V60, Kalita Wave, Kantans, AeroPress, Vario Grinder, Porlex hand grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder Missing Handle :P
RolandGlew

Postby icke » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:09 pm

Gouezeri wrote:You could also try some of the offerings from the newly crowned French roasting champion!

where could one obtain these offerings? saving on international shipping charges every now and then wouldn't be a bad thing really...
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby canto » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:14 pm

In Italy:
Slitti (Tuscany)
Mokaflor (firenze)
Vergnano (Milan)

and what I really love is the Sidamo single origine produced by the second company:

http://www.mokaflor-italian-coffee.com/ ... world.html
canto

Postby Chris » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:50 pm

:D Canto, do you work for that second company by any chance?
Chris

Re: Must try roasters of the world

Postby jossy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:55 pm

Any updates on this? I know toomuchcoffee is dying out but KingSeven's list has been my essential travel guide for years now and I'd be curious to find out if he has any updates to his list? Let's hope against hope that he still reads toomuchcoffee :-)
Quest M3 - iRoast2 - Mahlkönig Vario - PIDed Gaggia Classic at home - - Electric Cezve/Ibriki and Iberital MC2 at work - Aeroporess - Hario TCA Syphons - Hario Skerton and Porlex Hand Grinders - Chemex
jossy

Postby RolandGlew » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:16 am

Also crossing my fingers for a KingSeven update - but in the meantime, although I don't get to try as many international coffee roasters as he does, (in addition to his list) I've had and would recommend:

Australia:
Brother Espresso

Sweden:
Drop Coffee

U.S.:
Heart Coffee Roasters

Germany:
Roestbar
The Barn
5 Elephants

France:
Belleville

Guatemala:
Paradigma

New Zealand:
Flight
Framework (not actually had anything from them yet, but it's John & Jess previously of Square Mile, so we can take tasty as a given :) )

Japan:
Maruyama Coffee

That's off the top of my head - I'll try and remember to post any more I come across!
3 Cup Chemex, Hario Syphon, French Press, 5 Ibrik, Stove Top/Moka Pot, Pour Over, Hario V60, Kalita Wave, Kantans, AeroPress, Vario Grinder, Porlex hand grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder Missing Handle :P
RolandGlew

Postby rich833 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:26 am

Is the idea of HasBean to try a different roast/bean each week? I recently started the Secret Caffeine Club to bring great independent roasters to the masses, online. The knowledge in this forum is amazing - definitely gives me food for thought for new roasters to feature!
rich833

Postby marmelady » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:53 am

Oh, didn't realize this forum is pretty dead, so many cool threads here. :cry:
marmelady

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:44 am

Hi Marmelady and welcome.

Yes, it’s a bit quiet these days but a few of us are still floating about. There is a wealth of information in the threads and it goes right back to the early days of the coffee renaissance early in the millennium. Back in the day everyone posted here.

It’s worth a trawl back through the threads. Lots of humour that I’ve never seen on any other online forum too.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re:

Postby AlexCaro » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:04 am

Beanie wrote:Adding to James' list, also for Canada:

Detour Coffee. Kaelin doesn't have an online store yet; however, if you can PayPal, I think he'll be pleased to send you stuff. I know that another TMC'er in UK phoned Kaelin last Xmas to order stuff. I'm sure an email will work just as well. Also, I only recently sent some beans to Cakey to try... so NUTCakes... review already! Personally, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Punch Buggy and it is Kaelin's 'baby'. And just today, I got the OK from the owners to test out the PB decaf @ the shop in a couple weeks' time :D Ever since Intelli's decaf (most undecaf decaf I've EVER tried), I've yet to encounter any that comes even close... so my search for decaf continues :( Currently, t just SUCKS to adjust decaf espresso every day :( I need to find something I actually WANT to taste.

Another one getting solid raves (but I've yet to try, although REALLY REALLY want to try) is Social Coffee Company.

Sam James uses coffee beans from Toi & Moi Cafe in Montreal. All I know is, Sam's shop always serves a kick-ass espresso. I had a double macc just this past Wednesday and it was glORious :D

I heard about Social Coffee Company from one of my friends. He is a real cofficionado. The first thing he does in a new place, buys a cup of coffee :D
Everyone should believe in something. I believe I will have another coffee.
AlexCaro

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping