Sour British Beans

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:43 am

Horses for courses. It is nice that everyone is able generally to consume coffee that is to their taste ...... and very funny that Dom is currently unable! :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:44 am

OI :P
Just no decent espresso. I did get to use the syphon in the campsite though. But I really could have done with my butane burner (which Anette has got - like she needs it!) to counteract the wind!
Might think about a mypressi for next year and a skerton.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:59 pm

Blah blah blah, yawn ..... ;) :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby RDW » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:53 pm

I wonder if Piero would prefer something from one of the 'old school' roasters who may not have gone along with the current trend for relatively acidic coffee? In London, I'm thinking of places like the Algerian Coffee Stores (like their Formula Rossa), HR Higgins (got a nice blend from there a while back, and some random blog claims they supply the Italian embassy), and Angelucci's (haven't tried them, but they supply Bar Italia in Soho).
RDW

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:35 pm

I would think beans from the Algerian Coffee Stores would suit his taste perfectly :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:24 am

Mark....
You.....
:|
Gouezeri

Postby Piero » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:51 am

Thanks RDW. I'll give them all a try.
Pavoni lever, R Silvia
Piero

Postby Viernes » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:24 pm

I just tried some coffee from Buono Espresso: Buono Blend, Italian blend, American blend and French blend.

Oh my god...

IMO, the beans are completely BURNT, no matter the blend. All. Very dark, shiny and completely covered of oils. So you can expect burnt taste, and that's what I get: burnt, heavy bitterness and not much more. The heavy roasting kills all organoleptics characteristics of the beans. So, all the blends tastes pretty much the same.

Any more experience?
La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II ♦ Mypressi Twist ♦ Eva Solo ♦ Hario TCA-5
Mahlkönig K30 Vario ♦ Mahlkönig Vario
Quest M3 ♦ Gene Café
Viernes

Postby Piero » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:09 pm

Sorry, Oton, for suggesting them. You're right, and I suppose that's why I'm still looking for that perfect non-burnt, non-acidic deeply flavoured bean. Some of the blends & singles from the Algerian Coffee Shop look promising to me, as suggested above. Their Velluto Nero is however, far too burnt for me despite not being bitter, and it does remind me very much of the taste of coffee in the bars of Napoli.
Pavoni lever, R Silvia
Piero

Postby motoman » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:16 am

I can't get past the image of Dom without his skirton.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:21 pm

motoman wrote:I can't get past the image of Dom without his skirton.

Oi, I have a slim, don't you know... :P
Gouezeri

Postby Viernes » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:30 pm

Non-acidic espresso friends should try Quijote Kaffee

I'm trying right now their coffees... full chocolate, spicy, nutty, big big body... it's almost like slurping butter... and no acidity

You can get acidity of the Flying Pingo, however you can kill it increasing brew time and temp. Very nice.

They offer a tasting pack with 5 espresso coffees for 22€ (that's what I ordered plus the x-roasting blend a.k.a. "chocolate rain") which I recommend.

cons: probably unexciting coffee for acid fans...
Last edited by Viernes on Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II ♦ Mypressi Twist ♦ Eva Solo ♦ Hario TCA-5
Mahlkönig K30 Vario ♦ Mahlkönig Vario
Quest M3 ♦ Gene Café
Viernes

Postby jossy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:44 pm

I followed your advice, friend, and ordered the tasting pack from Quijote (even though I quite like acidity....) Hoping they won't include any bacteria in the beans... (bad joke, I know... but I couldn't resist. These beans are from pretty much the epicentre of the recent E-coli outbreak).
Quest M3 - iRoast2 - Mahlkönig Vario - PIDed Gaggia Classic at home - - Electric Cezve/Ibriki and Iberital MC2 at work - Aeroporess - Hario TCA Syphons - Hario Skerton and Porlex Hand Grinders - Chemex
jossy

Postby icke » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:53 pm

well, as long as the cucumbers have been roasted to FC+, there's no EHEC left in them...
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby jossy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Yes but EHEC could be added after roasting during packing etc...
Quest M3 - iRoast2 - Mahlkönig Vario - PIDed Gaggia Classic at home - - Electric Cezve/Ibriki and Iberital MC2 at work - Aeroporess - Hario TCA Syphons - Hario Skerton and Porlex Hand Grinders - Chemex
jossy

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping