Sour British Beans

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby icke » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:50 pm

that's why i'm home-roasting... 8)
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby Viernes » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:21 pm

jossy wrote:I followed your advice, friend, and ordered the tasting pack from Quijote

:D You can't resist...

Sometimes is nice to taste the other espresso side, or should I say 'the classic espresso'. However, get used to Squaremile and HasBean, I fear you'll find it bored after a few cups... Good thing about this coffee is the freshness in contrast with the typical italian major branded coffee.

Those espressi has been a success with my guests... "at least normal coffee without lemons" they must have thought. :lol:
La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II ♦ Mypressi Twist ♦ Eva Solo ♦ Hario TCA-5
Mahlkönig K30 Vario ♦ Mahlkönig Vario
Quest M3 ♦ Gene Café
Viernes

Postby jossy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:09 am

oton wrote:Sometimes is nice to taste the other espresso side, or should I say 'the classic espresso'.

I visited Stéphane / MKSwing in April and he gave me a bag of pre-blended Brazilian beans (Stéphane, what was that? I didn't write down the name... Thanks so much again. They are delicious! You were right!) These were wonderful with big body and rounded acidity and have brought back memories of how amazing a good Brazilian can be in espresso. As you say, the best thing about coffee is its variety and how you can switch from pure mouthwatering fruit juice one day to deep chocolate and strong body the other day. I also like to order in some roasted beans from time to time to compare my roasts and get new ideas about how to roast, as you do. Thanks for the tip!
Quest M3 - iRoast2 - Mahlkönig Vario - PIDed Gaggia Classic at home - - Electric Cezve/Ibriki and Iberital MC2 at work - Aeroporess - Hario TCA Syphons - Hario Skerton and Porlex Hand Grinders - Chemex
jossy

Postby jossy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:01 am

I've tried 3 of the 5 Quijote coffees so far, the Brazilian Bobolink, the Ecuadorian and the Flying Pingo. The roasts look good, not too dark and no oils showing. The Bobolink was so-so in my opinion, medium to big body, no acidity, but otherwise uninspiring on its own. The Ecuador is seriously disappointing, with unpleasant nutty and roast flavours. The Flying Pingo is very nice indeed. It has some acidity as Oton pointed out, but not too much and I think even those who dislike acidity would appreciate it if it's subtle as it is in the Pingo.
Quest M3 - iRoast2 - Mahlkönig Vario - PIDed Gaggia Classic at home - - Electric Cezve/Ibriki and Iberital MC2 at work - Aeroporess - Hario TCA Syphons - Hario Skerton and Porlex Hand Grinders - Chemex
jossy

Postby MKSwing » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:42 pm

jossy wrote:I visited Stéphane / MKSwing in April and he gave me a bag of pre-blended Brazilian beans (Stéphane, what was that? I didn't write down the name...

Oops, sorry didn't notice your post...
The pre blended brazilian coffee is from Daterra. It is the Bruzzi Espresso blend.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby Viernes » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:50 pm

jossy wrote: The Ecuador is seriously disappointing, with unpleasant nutty and roast flavours.

Roast flavors? Try Dantes Inferno. :lol:

Oh no! The second crack! :lol:
La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II ♦ Mypressi Twist ♦ Eva Solo ♦ Hario TCA-5
Mahlkönig K30 Vario ♦ Mahlkönig Vario
Quest M3 ♦ Gene Café
Viernes

Postby RoasterPaul » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:27 am

Hello,
This is a really interesting discussion - I think these two ends of the taste-spectrum are one of the big dilemmas for a small roaster who is unable to produce a whole range of espresso blend 'styles' to suit every taste! Whilst most tastes are usually more complicated than 'bitter' or 'acidic' in terms of preference, these seem to be the two most common distinctions people draw.

It's a big generalisation but, an Italian-style coffee that's a darker roast and usually contains a good proportion of robusta appeals to some people (perhaps because that has most widely been available until more recently?). Whereas the lighter-roasted more acidic blends usually without robusta (or only a small proportion) are a preference for many. There is a lot in-between though, so finding something interesting that will appeal to both groups but with it's own character is the other option, or just accept that different tastes are part of the fun and go for whatever you personally prefer and sod the rest!!
Cheers,
Paul
RoasterPaul

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping