SqM spring blend

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby PhilT » Tue May 18, 2010 8:30 pm

oton: on our S1 (Mini) this coffee was very sweet, delicious & big on flapjack. My particular bag was from a coffee shop before it went up on the web store. I made it at 95C (like always), with a good amount of coffee for a nice thick pour. Worked fine as a naked single too. When we've consumed the subscription coffees this month, I'll be going back for some more.

Presumably it's nothing simple like you need to give the machine a backflush with cleaner, and swap over the shower screens?
La Spaziale S1 Mini, Mazzer Mini E, Aeropress, Kyocera hand grinder
PhilT

Postby Chris » Tue May 18, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi Oton, it's interesting that you mention you have tried other blends in your machine and they are also sour. I had some great shots at home on my Silvia with Mazzer Mini and really enjoyed this blend most as a straight espresso. I didn't find it sour, I percieved it to be rather sweet.

I'd avoid dosing too course to reduce sourness. Have you checked to ensure you are not getting any channelling? Try a bottomless PF to check for an even extraction. I've found a light nutation followed by a normal even tamp quite handy for reducing channelling. I'd say stick around the 25 sec extraction time. Extended extractions can often be pleasant but can also often taste salty to me. Have you had your grinder and burrs cleaned/serviced recently, burrs nice and sharp? Is your hopper at least 2/3 full?

You mentioned water temp, how are you measuring? As long as you don't go below 93 degrees and it is stable then temp can't be the issue. Increasing temp as you did should reduce sourness.

Have you checked your water filtration (if you use any)?

I'd suggest not to change too many variables at once and if you believe your equipment is all good play with grind first then dose with consitent technique to affect the resulting taste.

Good luck!
Chris

Postby Viernes » Wed May 19, 2010 11:51 am

bruceb wrote:How about trying a neutral bottled water just for giggles? There aren't a lot of variables left to try since you've ruled out most of the obvious ones.

Tried. Same result.

Chris wrote:I had some great shots at home on my Silvia with Mazzer Mini and really enjoyed this blend most as a straight espresso. I didn't find it sour, I percieved it to be rather sweet.

:shock:

I'd avoid dosing too course to reduce sourness. Have you checked to ensure you are not getting any channelling? Try a bottomless PF to check for an even extraction. I've found a light nutation followed by a normal even tamp quite handy for reducing channelling.

Yes. I'm doing extractions with the naked PF. I'm not see signs of channelling, but maybe I'm confused. I tried WDT.

I'd say stick around the 25 sec extraction time. Extended extractions can often be pleasant but can also often taste salty to me.

Oh, thanks for point it. I also noticed the salty taste sometimes. I was searching the net for a comment about relation between long extractions and salty taste but I've never found anything. Good to know it.

Have you had your grinder and burrs cleaned/serviced recently, burrs nice and sharp? Is your hopper at least 2/3 full?

I tried with the Vario Home which is almost new and with the K30. Nope, I usually grind by dose...

You mentioned water temp, how are you measuring?

In the S1 you can select the temp.

Have you checked your water filtration (if you use any)?

Yes. La Spaz uses water filters.

oton wrote:: on our S1 (Mini) this coffee was very sweet, delicious & big on flapjack. My particular bag was from a coffee shop before it went up on the web store. I made it at 95C (like always), with a good amount of coffee for a nice thick pour. Worked fine as a naked single too. When we've consumed the subscription coffees this month, I'll be going back for some more.

:shock: :shock:

I'm not sure if I prefer that you told me that the coffee for you was sour too or this. :roll:

Geez... The easy way will be to take a flight to London and try the coffee from first hand. :lol:
Last edited by Viernes on Wed May 19, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II ♦ Mypressi Twist ♦ Eva Solo ♦ Hario TCA-5
Mahlkönig K30 Vario ♦ Mahlkönig Vario
Quest M3 ♦ Gene Café
Viernes

Postby Chris » Wed May 19, 2010 12:32 pm

When you grind is there any downward pressure at all (e.g. tamper on top of beans) or are the beans bouncing about a bit as they grind? I never feel comfortable grinding with an empty hopper as I feel the results are less consistent. I'm not familliar with your machine but are your water filters clean? Can you replace them if they are old? I say this because you said other coffees tasted sour to you too.

Run a cup of water through your group head into a cup and after letting it cool give it a taste. Does it taste good (subjective)? Maybe you could test your water supply? Your water will affect taste even the type of bottled water. I can't provide any information about ideals (maybe others on the forum can) but have a read of this to give you a starting point: http://stason.org/TULARC/indulgence/wat ... water.html

Failing that come to London and try it at Whitecross Street Market, tastes great :o)
Chris

Postby bruceb » Wed May 19, 2010 4:50 pm

Well, I finally got a chance to try the Spring Blend today and I hate to admit that I find it amazingly sweet. It also has a lightness and acidity that is quite surprising. I've been drinking a Mexico Maragogype that is very spicy with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg, so the Spring Blend is a surprising contrast.

In my experience beans jumping around in the bottom of the hopper while grinding is to be avoided at all costs. My extraction times go all off and the taste goes thin and sourish under those circumstances.
Last edited by bruceb on Wed May 19, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby dunkster » Wed May 19, 2010 4:54 pm

Kaffeine are performing voodoo magic with this; sooooooo good from the Synesso. I ended up having 2 singles and a double cap yesterday.
dunkster

Postby Walter » Thu May 20, 2010 10:56 pm

I just got a bag two days ago. In my Vivaldi II with 17-18g at 94°C (Scace calibrated), results in a very pleasant, and balanced espresso. Not sour at all...
fa' zoccu hai di fari e li fatti d'àutru nun guardari....

This week I are mostly playing with my new water kettle... :)
Walter

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping