Harrar / Yirg blend (H&V and Monmouth)

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Harrar / Yirg blend (H&V and Monmouth)

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:33 pm

I still have a lot of beans from H&V and Monmouth. I felt creative last weekend and made myself the following blend:
Harrar (50%) and Yirg (50%). I was very curious, because as I may have mentioned before, I think the two are not too dissimilar. The resulting blend tasted like...

...100% Harrar or 100% Yirg. In other words, there is no need to blend the two, as they are way too similar. I hear you say: "What did you expect"? Fair enough, it was as expected, but perhaps blending two similar beans could have given unexpected results surely? It ain't science in the end!!!???

To be complete: both roasted into 2nd crack, but before rolling second.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby michel » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:49 pm

In my experience Harrar and Yrg. are completely different (although both are capable of putting images of camels, desers-storms, chocolate-dark humans, hot day's and extremely cold nights, on my retina's, as I drink them...) I cupped them 6 months ago (don't know why I mention this because I hate cupping and I think it's not representative for the output in a coffeemachine/espressomachine) and the Harrar was very strong, unbalanced, bitter and flat, while the Yrg. was some sort of sweet, balanced and 'mysterious' and rich...
In espresso I like pure Yrgacheffe, but dislike Harrar (but this is probably because you have better Harrar beans than I have...).
To go short: I would have done your experiment if I had the idea and I don't think your outcome is obvious. On the other hand, I think I'm going to try: 70% yrg. (stopped just before second crack) with 30% Harrar... (into second crack)
Who know's the outcome..?
I will, in just a few day's I'll let you know (I just roasted 3 batches... A Cuba blend again... Damn, can't get enough of this Cuba-halleluja)
Thanks for inspiring me!

Michel
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:53 pm

I like your style: take nothing for granted! :)

I have noticed that there can be big differences between same name beans! Harrar is generally not concidered an outstanding gourmet bean. But, as Phil will agree with me, Hill & Valley has a fantastic Harrar!
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby phil » Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:56 pm

Certainly the H&V Harrar is fantastic.

Where's the review then Eward? You've had a whole week! :lol:
phil
Founder Member

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping