Ethiopian coffee roasters in london

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Ethiopian coffee roasters in london

Postby Jasonscheltus » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:29 pm

Has anyone heard of these people/tried their coffee?

Can't really tell if it's roasted in Africa or London - kinda hope London, although I'd never heard of them while I was there..

http://www.theethiopiancoffeecompany.co.uk/
Jasonscheltus

RE: Ethiopian coffee roasters in london

Postby kingseven » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:19 pm

The company address appears to be residential, so perhaps it is being toll roasted? I've never heard of them either.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Jasonscheltus » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:07 pm

Oh right, just off Edgware road near Hyde Park.. Nice and expensive rent for a roastery!
Jasonscheltus

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:55 am

We got an email from them on the membership address early in December. Seemed to be asking more for exposure than membership. We sent them membership details as requested and heard no more. Their email was a bit cryptic, almost spam-like, though I may be doing them a disservice.

Edit: I'm a numpty. The person concerned from the above did join after the email, but has yet to login.
Last edited by CakeBoy on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby jossy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:00 am

I read the twitter feed and it seems that they are roasting locally (they talk about picking up beans from the docks and roasting them next Monday....) but no hint of where and how....
Quest M3 - iRoast2 - Mahlkönig Vario - PIDed Gaggia Classic at home - - Electric Cezve/Ibriki and Iberital MC2 at work - Aeroporess - Hario TCA Syphons - Hario Skerton and Porlex Hand Grinders - Chemex
jossy

Ethiopian Coffee Roasters in London

Postby BunaBoy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:34 pm

Hello to you all indeed we are Ethiopian coffee Roasters/retailers and we have been roasting since April 2009. I will be posting regularly from now on
as i have recently acquired a Faema Legend 2QR a faded beauty which languishes awaiting the kiss of life.
happy new year to All of You
BunaBoy

RE: Ethiopian Coffee Roasters in London

Postby bruceb » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:47 pm

Please excuse the numpty. :lol: We're generally a friendly lot here. When you have a chance tell us a bit more about the Faema (with pictures!). Thanks.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Ethiopian Coffee Roasters in London

Postby lsjms » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:06 pm

Welcome to TMC

Sod the Faema :lol: Tell us about the coffee.
How did you get into roasting?
How often do you roast and what roaster have you got?
Can you supply green coffee?
lsjms

Re: RE: Ethiopian Coffee Roasters in London

Postby bruceb » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:28 pm

lsjms wrote:Welcome to TMC

Sod the Faema :lol:

That's what I get for trying to be polite! :? :lol:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Re: RE: Ethiopian Coffee Roasters in London

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:51 pm

Welcome to the madness Buna :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: Re: RE: Ethiopian Coffee Roasters in London

Postby GreenBean » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:08 am

Welcome to TMC BunaBoy.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby BunaBoy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:29 pm

A quick reply to how and when we roast...... currently we roast once or twice a week depends ultimately on demand. We rent a roaster from a friend who is also storing some of our coffee for us - so far so good. This year we intend to actively search for a low cost premises of our own in order to expand and also to bring in new coffee stocks. If anyone has any ideas apropos premises i would love to hear. i would love to supply green beans but currently what we have we will use up ourselves, as and when the green bean option become a reality I will let you all know.
BunaBoy

Postby jossy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:52 pm

Lovely website! Very colourful and attractive! Congratulations!

The beans on the front page do look over-roasted (some burn marks) but then again, only a coffee-geek would notice this and after all over-roasted beans look prettier and shinier and are likely to attract more customers so I'm not blaming you for this as long as the actual roasted beans are good... (haven't had a chance to try them yet.) Do let us know when green becomes available!
Quest M3 - iRoast2 - Mahlkönig Vario - PIDed Gaggia Classic at home - - Electric Cezve/Ibriki and Iberital MC2 at work - Aeroporess - Hario TCA Syphons - Hario Skerton and Porlex Hand Grinders - Chemex
jossy

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping