Kenyan Githima

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Kenyan Githima

Postby espressomattic » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:08 pm

Very hard to find cupping notes or specific details on this Kenyan

Seems to come from a co-operative in a small region of villages - if anybody knows more, please help...

Anyway, first tried as a single origin espresso.

Not too acidic, but with a dry under ripe black berry taste, a surprising almost chocolaty follow through which is not normal for a kenyan at all. Very full mouthfeel and quite silky.

Today it was though the chemex

Very smooth and the dry berry like thing really shone through. Rich and dark with again, this sort of chocolaty thing going on. The silky mouthfeel was ery evident. As it cooled it was very much like the follow on taste of a dry red.

The biggest thing about this bean though is it's strength. It is for some reason, very caffine rich and not in the least bit mild. Gives a kick similar to Kalosi....wierd!
espressomattic

RE: Kenyan Githima

Postby bruceb » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:30 pm

I discovered this on the web here. There is a short note on the cup plus a few words about the area:

"Githima is a muddy, ramshackle town north-east of Nairobi, where barefoot women barter vegetables for clothes and a motor vehicle still means almost unimaginable wealth."

However, there are many people interested in the coffee and many who would like to know more about it.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby KahawaShaun » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:05 pm

Nakuru is North WEST of Nairobi... so the importer / buyer has either been fed a line or has a dodgy compass...
KahawaShaun

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping