aromatico.co.uk

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

aromatico.co.uk

Postby Richard14 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:38 pm

Anyone else had a bad experience with this company?

About 2 months ago I ordered 3 kilos (2 x 1 blend, 1 x 1 blend). Only 2 kilos in total were supplied and these were not exactly what I had ordered. I was charged for 3 kilos.

Since then I have sent many emails asking for an explanation - all have been ignored.

Avoid!
Richard14

RE: aromatico.co.uk

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi Richard and welcome to TMC :D. It's always disappointing when something like that happens. It sounds as though you may need to involve the credit card company. I've not heard of the company btw, though I expect a few on here will at least know of them.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Richard14 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi CakeBoy, thanks for the welcome. Paid by Maestro and below the limit so chalk it up to experience. Any info on good suppliers of dark Italian roast welcome.
Richard14

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:20 pm

Most people round here seem to go for lighter roasts than the traditional 'Italian' style, myself included. Consequently, I haven't any personal experience of a supplier who roasts that way. Is there anything that you particularly like about very dark roasts? Have you tried anything a little lighter from a roaster with a good reputation? You might be pleasantly surprised.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Richard14 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:25 am

I think the reason I go for the Italian style is that I started drinking espresso in Italy (and bought my first Gaggia there).

I'm currently drinking coffee made from IKEA beans, surprisingly good and certainly lighter than I am used to. Any recommendations for lighter roasts most welcome.

One of the coffees that Aromatico did supply was Blaser Lila e Rose, very rich, dark and smooth. Unfortunately I can't find an alternative supplier.
Richard14

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:07 pm

You won't go far wrong with anything from the ample selections offered by Has Bean or Square Mile. The Has Bean Espresso Blend may well be to your taste if you prefer something with a bit of ooomph, though with a little sampling you may find yourself also enjoying lighter roasted offerings that are still able to deliver all the flavours and mouthfeel.

For something with a bit of muscle but still quite refined you may find yourself enjoying the Happy Donkey blends. For my taste, the Brazilian is actually a little more rounded than the Italian in their range and it also offers a bigger kick.

Another well thought of supplier round here with some popular blends is James Gourmet Coffee.

Not many on the forum use imported coffee because of concerns for freshness. That is not to say all imported coffee is bad, just that the majority prefer to buy freshly roasted from a known source with clear roast dates. Mooch around a bit and you'll get a feel. Hopefully you'll eventually find something that you really enjoy that is readily available, fresh and from a reliable source :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Richard14 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:27 pm

Thanks, very helpful. I'll try a few and report back once I've used up existing stock.
Izzo Duetto, Mazzer Mini E
Richard14

Postby Gadders » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:37 pm

Definitely try those richard, i think you'll be very surprised to taste the difference between ikea beans and those supplied by the speciality roasteries listed :)
Gadders

Re: RE: aromatico.co.uk

Postby quoad » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:15 am

CakeBoy wrote:You won't go far wrong with anything from the ample selections offered by Has Bean or Square Mile. The Has Bean Espresso Blend may well be to your taste if you prefer something with a bit of ooomph, though with a little sampling you may find yourself also enjoying lighter roasted offerings that are still able to deliver all the flavours and mouthfeel.

I'd be tempted to suggest starting out with SQM's summer espresso blend, then (having established what a damned decent roast / blend is like :D), start delving into Steve's several hundred Hasbean offerings :)

Richard14 wrote:Thanks, very helpful. I'll try a few and report back once I've used up existing stock.

I'd... also... be very tempted to suggest buying in somewhat smaller batches. IMO fresh-roast beans are doing well to be at their best after a fortnight.

Fresh roast makes a monumental difference... Buying in smaller orders of <500g (or, well, enough to last you a week to a fortnight) may also do wonders for what you're drinking :)

Enjoy!

e2a: quoting from the first bean I clicked on at aromatico.co.uk:

aromatico wrote:Sell-by-date from day of roasting: maximal 18 months

*cries quietly*
quoad

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping