SQM Summer Espresso

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

SQM Summer Espresso

Postby Bernie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:58 pm

I was able to try the Square Mile Summer Espresso and must say it is even better than the Spring one. It is really sweet and lovely, thoroughly enjoyable :P

Bernie.
Bernie

RE: SQM Summer Espresso

Postby CarlFleischer » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:36 pm

tasted it in Leeds today, really enjoyed it as an espresso!
Iberital Junior - Anfim Super Caimano - Hario 5-Cup Syphon - Aeropress - Ceramic Drippy - Chemex.
CarlFleischer

Postby Gwilym » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:09 am

I would love to taste it in Leeds.
I hear their machine is very tasty too
Gwilym

Postby quoad » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:47 am

My parents very kindly gave me a bag for my thirtieth.

The only problem being, that in their awesome good-intentionedness, they'd ordered as soon as possible to make sure it got there in time. So by the time they gave it to me (plus a bag of Ngunguru AA) they were already 12 days old :D

I've been using 'em as fast as humanly possible, working in college, and taking coffee in to our porters to try and use it all before it goes well past its best :D

The Summer Espresso has been blinding - it's pouring like it's at the back end of its happy life, but has tasted a beaut so far! I've ordered another bag today, because I can't wait to find out what it tastes like when it's COMPLETELY fresh :D
quoad

Postby triptogenetica » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:00 pm

mmm, yes, SqM summer was v v tasty. Really pleasant acidity, but (unusually, for me to like it), not citrussy. Instead, SqM described it as grape acidity - and i really got that in my shots...

My bag's gone already... :(
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Postby bruceb » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Thanks to Tom's (dsc) generosity I had a bag of the summer blend to enjoy. I was very impressed with the relatively complex sweet, caramel nuttiness and gentle acidity. I was very surprised at the composition, 80% Guatemala and 20% Colombia. I thought that a good espresso blend generally has a base of Colombian or Brazilian and then Central American, Indonesian or other in small amounts as "spice." This blend, however, uses the excellent Finca Las Nubes Guatemala to set the stage, balanced by the La Carol. I was delighted with this coffee, if a bit humbled in regard to my own roasting and blending. I would love to produce this fine a blend one day.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping