4-Arts Zero Defect Coffee

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

4-Arts Zero Defect Coffee

Postby SlowRain » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:49 pm

I was watching the latest episode of Tamper Tantrum where Steve and Colin (but, really, it was the absent guest) mentioned Simon Hsieh of 4-Arts Zero-Defect Coffee in Taiwan. For no other reason than he's in Taiwan, I did a search and came up with this (in English) and this (in Chinese).

Has anyone ever tried his coffee in particular, or the zero-defect concept in general? How much of a difference does it make?

By the way: Colin, nice job on the pronunciation...you pronounced 'Simon' very well.
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

RE: 4-Arts Zero Defect Coffee

Postby Aadje » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:17 pm

What is it supposed to be? He doesn't really say that on his blog . . .
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby SlowRain » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:38 pm

This may explain it better.

***EDIT: Click on the 'Simon Hsieh' tag on the bottom for all of Barismo's articles tagged where he is mentioned. There is an interview there that tells more about him.
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

Postby Aadje » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:54 pm

Wow, looks intense and expensive . . .
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby kingseven » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:08 pm

Just a side note - I've hand sorted down to absolute zero defect the coffees we used for the last three WBCs (both pre and post roasting). The coffee didn't taste any different really, it was mostly just to reduce to zero the chance of a quaker sneaking into one of the really important shots!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby SlowRain » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:24 am

The price isn't too bad, but it's more expensive than what I normally pay. I think I will give it a try sometime in the fall. I've spent enough money recently, and will be spending a few dollars more in the next two weeks.

Right now he has a Nicaragua San Juan del Rio Coco at $450/0.5lb (that's TWD, not USD; I'll let you work that out in your respective currencies).

James: Didn't you guys win the last three WBCs? Do all of the teams sort like this?
SlowRain

Postby kingseven » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:04 am

We did indeed have some success, but the scoresheets will tell you that there were a number of reasons for this. On stage it was about absolute peace of mind and confidence in the coffee. The coffees didn't taste dramatically different - though we were always starting with incredibly well prepped greens, which helped!

The Nic works out at around £32/kg, which might hit a nice balance between value and suitable payment for the labours involved!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby bruceb » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:14 am

A few years ago I hand selected my beans on a regular basis until I became convinced that I couldn't taste a difference.

With a bit of practice anyone can learn to do it. Paying someone else to do it seems a bit OTT to me, unless your time is really limited and you think it makes a difference.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby SlowRain » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:09 pm

It seems to me like something that would best be handled by a contractor in the country of origin rather than after it has been shipped to a country with high labor costs.

...that is assuming there is value in the cup in the first place.
SlowRain

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping