Aricha, Beloya, Gethumbwini #796

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Aricha, Beloya, Gethumbwini #796

Postby leecb » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:17 am

I've really changed my mind about these African coffees! WOW.
The over-riding characteristics of fruit and acidity never really appealed to me in coffee until I tried these three. It has brought the way I taste coffee sharply into focus as the flavours are so pronounced. The acidity that I've never appreciated just helps to accentuate the fruitiness.
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

RE: Aricha, Beloya, Gethumbwini #796

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:04 pm

Sounds lovely :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby dsc » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:56 am

Hi,

just got a pack of Aricha from SQM (Yirgacheffe, Ethiopia) and I have to say it's amazing. The blueberries are so pronounced it's like a freaking fruit pie! (or a blueberry muffin!). Generally fruitiness, crisp acidity and so so good.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby leecb » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:58 pm

Now you have to try the Beloya which is the same kind of thing but on speed! :shock: 8)
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby bruceb » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:20 pm

You are driving me crazy with these descriptions. I want some! :shock: :lol:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Steve » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:16 pm

I have some Beloya in my bag for the morning can not wait. Also have some Tegu which I'm equally excited about thanks Jim and Anette.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:12 pm

Did you swap that for your flat cap Steve?
Jim and Anette, I think you were robbed, I'd make sure nothing else is missing :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby EspressoSquirrel » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:46 am

i got to try a shot of the test roast of the beloya last week, I was a bit skeptical as i have always been a bit disappointed with Ethiopian single origins, but the flavour was amazingly rich, almost overpowering. Nothing like others i have tasted, so i will definitely be open to trying more now
silvia and rocky
EspressoSquirrel

Postby zix » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:58 pm

Hmmm... ethiopian single origins and disappointment. Those two concepts I have never combined. Except once, and that wasn't me who roasted them beans that time. I always thought ethiopians (the coffee beans, I mean...) were comparatively easy to roast, with quite a large "OK roast" plateau.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Steve » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:44 am

Ohhh I think there is an awful lot of very average Ethiopian out there, in fact I find them a rarity more than the norm, but when they are good they are very good.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby EspressoSquirrel » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:47 am

they weren't bad roasts, and I pulled shots for others who liked them, (i also only tried about 3) It was a flavour i disliked, if i remember of the three i tried there was a grapefruit taste to all of them (i really dislike grapefruit), but they taste so distinctive compared to other countries, i was beginning to think it was all of them, silly i know. I'm very happy to be shown the light
silvia and rocky
EspressoSquirrel

Postby zix » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:41 pm

think there is an awful lot of very average Ethiopian out there, in fact I find them a rarity more than the norm

Steve: Do you mean the average Ethipians are a rarity, or do you mean that the good (who when found often prove to be very good) ones are a rarity?

For me, being on the consumer side, I would be very much interested to hear of how you perceive the quality of the Ethiopian beans. Since things seem to be changing over there with some kind of new system for judging quality, and the demise of SO Ethiopians (if that rumour turns out to be true), it would be interesting for all of us, I think. I am worried, though. Should I be?
For me, Ethiopian beans have become the one coffee origin I just can't do without. As single origins, and in blends.
Same thing goes for Yemeni beans, but since they have all started to grow qat or somethin, Mokha Sana'ani and others are more or less impossible to find. At least for me, as a home roaster living in Sweden.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby bruceb » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:59 pm

For espresso Ethiopians are the one s.o. I also wouldn't want to do without. I also love them as a base for blends.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Steve » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:40 pm

Zix : I mean many Ethiopians are VERY average and the good ones are rare, but when they are good, they are VERY good.

Don't expect anything as good as for the last few years, the Ethiopian market is a mess and is being run by people that don't get or care about quality. Big changes need to happen to that market.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby fred25 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:01 pm

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but where are the Aricha and Beloya coffees from? (I mean retailers, not origin!) Can't seem to to find at the 'usual suspects' places, and what with those descriptors I'd love to have a sip of them!
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping