Rwandan potato...?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Rwandan potato...?

Postby quoad » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:59 pm

Quick query - I've recently fired up the Hottop, after a couple of months off... After finishing the some quite-old-but-surprisingly-good Honduras CoE, I've moved onto Steve's (last year's batch :oops: ) Rwandan Ucar crop of gold. It's been absolutely awesome so far!

One query - my whole room absolutely stinks of raw potato. I had a cup of Ucar this morning, as well as roasting a batch. The cup tasted superb... and the roasted beans smell beautiful... so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about where the smell might be coming from? Is it smell-able during the roast? My belief was the potato only became smellable when ground. And if THAT'S the case, I'm bewildered as to why I had an absolutely gorgeous cup this morning... unless there was a smidgen of blight in the very last bean or two, that were ground after I removed the portafilter... Which is possible!

I thought I must be deluded until I came home again and - BANG - a full-on blast of raw potato as soon as I opened the door! Any which ways, I'm just absolutely intrigued...

NB: there are no raw potatoes in my room.
quoad

RE: Rwandan potato...?

Postby kingseven » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:41 pm

One defect bean is enough to fill the room with that amazing raw potato aroma.

If it is potent then the bad bean definitely was ground. How did you brew the coffee? I find that, contrary to expectation, it is relatively hidden in espresso compared to other brewing methods.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Re: RE: Rwandan potato...?

Postby quoad » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:57 pm

kingseven wrote:One defect bean is enough to fill the room with that amazing raw potato aroma.

If it is potent then the bad bean definitely was ground. How did you brew the coffee? I find that, contrary to expectation, it is relatively hidden in espresso compared to other brewing methods.

Ahhh...

It was in espresso...

An Americano...

Yet try as I might, I couldn't discern any potato in the cup. Or any off notes, beyond a hint of sourness from pulling the shot a wee bit too cold.

(For what it's worth, it was finishing your subscription Rwandan that got me firing up the Hottop to roast Steve's Ucar ;))
quoad

RE: Re: RE: Rwandan potato...?

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:48 am

I found one cup of the Ucar to have potato, but no reports from anyone else. I think if you cup ANY Rwandan for long enough you'll find it, and when you find it you find it.

I concur with Jim about I've never found it in espresso but always in brewed and mainly the cupping table.
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping