Do not buy this coffee, you will not like it!

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:35 pm

A bag of Number 9 please :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby quoad » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:43 am

GreenBean wrote:Have you tried the De Lujo yet? Please let us know what you think.

I couldn't hold out... and roasted some of the De Lujo on Friday...

Or maybe Thursday :?

To the very first whiffling of the very first pops of second crack.

Erm, I'm going to describe this really badly... I've had three shots. One on Saturday (still quite gassy-acidic, so - er - probably roast on Thurs evening?), one this morning (slightly cold and a slightly gushy pour), and a second double this morning (slightly hot, and this time tight - 40s pour, or thereabouts :D).

I'm left really, really curious. The Mac... er. Mach... um. Macararcnchchfchfff.... Wurft. The Bolivian SO that starts with a M has tasted quite dominant in the cups I've had (deep, sweet, gentle, chocolatey, rich), but with a... rolling... twist... of shining, gentle fruitiness that's kinda curled across my tongue... A really interesting... throughtaste, rather than aftertaste... I can see what Steve means by 'winey'... I've been getting a really gentle / tamed / delicate / friendly winey... and I'm really looking forward to exploring it some more :) I'm off rowing for a coupla hours, but intend to clean out and fire up the MCAL this afternoon. Which tends to be better at teasing out individual flavours :)

I'm tempted to put in an order for another couple of 2kg bags, SO and De Lujo :D Though that might not be ENTIRELY unrelated to my quarterly studentship cheque arriving last week :D

e2a: ohhhh, that's REALLY rather good..
quoad

Postby quoad » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:29 am

*cough*

Discounted this weekend!

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/Why- ... Green.html

!!!

e2a: I seem to've just 'accidentally' bought 6kg of Bolivian and De Lujo :oops: :D
quoad

Postby triptogenetica » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:30 pm

quoad, is the green 2kg discounted also? if so, that sounds good!
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Postby quoad » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:31 pm

triptogenetica wrote:quoad, is the green 2kg discounted also? if so, that sounds good!

It's - in effect - a just-under-5% discount. £20 for 2kg greens instead of £21.

Regardless, I knew I was going to buy a large chunk at some point... I guess this was just the trigger I needed ;)
quoad

Postby Steve » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:14 am

Just remeber you take the discount you have to watch Colin today on the live feed, its the law :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Beanie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:20 am

Too inebriated to figure out where to post this... but I had the Braz. Faz. Cach this week... 1st time since I moved back to this city. Actually shared it in an FP with Brian :P on Tues. It was v good... even at the end when it was a little over-extracted :oops: It was just too long of a break... I 'almost' forgot just how damn friggin good it is :D Kaelin nailed the roast on it :D MMM... yummm... soweeeee if I hijacked thread... sleep! me! NOW! Niiight :D
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby quoad » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:31 am

Steve wrote:Just remeber you take the discount you have to watch Colin today on the live feed, its the law :)

You were aware that's at 4.15 PM, Steve? Looks like there might've been a bit of an alarm clock confusion going on there!? ;)
quoad

Postby Steve » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:44 pm

I was in the US (god knows what time it was there) but it wasn't so silly a time
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri May 08, 2009 8:43 pm

Beanie wrote:Too inebriated to figure out where to post this... but I had the Braz. Faz. Cach this week... 1st time since I moved back to this city.

Last Monday I opened my last 2kg bag of HB Fazenda cach and took 220g to rolling 2nd + 10 secs. A couple of years ago, when I was experimenting with split-layer blending, the Cach was one of the few coffees that seemed to blend well with others.

I used to roast 2 x 220g once per week, but nowadays I find it less hassle to roast 4 x 220g once per fortnight, split them into 8 x 100g grip-seal bags and freeze them. Last Monday I also roasted Haraar, Monsooned M and Guat Injerto.

This is the last of the Injerto, but I still have about 3Kg of HB Haraar in my stash. It's the previous seasons Haraar, I don't know what the current seasons' is like. My stash is still quite large, mainly due to my Zaffiro being out of commission for 2 months. :oops: During that time, I used my Press Pot, which uses a lot less coffee (9g to a 4oz shot).
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby sicinius » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:58 am

I was normal prior to Machamarca but now I have developed the truly disgusting habit of licking my morning cappa cup clean.

I'm in real need of a stiff talking to.
Isomac Zaffiro, Eureka Mignon, Isomac Gram Macinino, Aeropress, Stovetop espresso, various Moka stovetops, 3 cafetieres, 50's glass Cona. Behmor 1600.
sicinius

Postby quoad » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:03 pm

sicinius wrote:I was normal prior to Machamarca but now I have developed the truly disgusting habit of licking my morning cappa cup clean.

Good man.

I've finished a 2kg bag of each, and'm well into the second set of 2kgs... Good grief, it's good stuff!
quoad

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:38 am

quoad wrote:
sicinius wrote:I was normal prior to Machamarca but now I have developed the truly disgusting habit of licking my morning cappa cup clean.

Good man.

I've finished a 2kg bag of each, and'm well into the second set of 2kgs... Good grief, it's good stuff!

I am still really enjoying the Machamarca as well but am not having much luck with its properties as a love potion. :wink: :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby quoad » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:12 am

GreenBean wrote:
quoad wrote:

Good man.

I am still really enjoying the Machamarca as well but am not having much luck with its properties as a love potion. :wink: :D

Ohhh, don't even go there.

THAT went explosively wrong :D

HOWEVER, I've been invited on a bike tour of the South of France by a lass who's never even tasted the Macha! Add some coffee into the mix, and who knows!!!??? ;)
quoad

Postby bruceb » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:35 pm

quoad wrote:HOWEVER, I've been invited on a bike tour of the South of France by a lass who's never even tasted the Macha! Add some coffee into the mix, and who knows!!!??? ;)

OH MY! I hope you will practice safe brewing. Image
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping