Just an observation.

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Just an observation.

Postby petikas » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:45 pm

I recently got some Yemen Mokha Mattar from HasBean and tried it in a few ways. This is the first time I'm trying a Yemen coffee and I wasn't impressed. I thought that this coffee is just not for me but it tasted like it would be good for espresso, but I can't try that at the moment as my espresso machine is out of order at the moment.
I then thought that if I mixed it with some Yirgacheffe then it wouldn't go to waste. I tried 9gr of Yemen and 9gr of Yirgacheffe, in the aeropress and to my extreme surprise the results was far better than I expected.

A clear case where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts!!
PID Gaggia Classic/Mazzer Mini E
Reg Barber tamper/Grindenstein knockbox
petikas

RE: Just an observation.

Postby Jasonscheltus » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:47 pm

was it better than the yirg by itself?

it seems to me like a funny thing to do - to try to dilute something you don't like rather than move on to something else.

good that it worked out though, nice one.
Jasonscheltus

Postby petikas » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:35 pm

I like it better than the yirg by itself because i find it more sweet and mellow. The yirg by itself was somewhat acid for my taste and the yemen by itself had a taste I couldn't really define but I didn't like it.
I didn't move on because I like to experiment with stuff and because I knew that there was nothing wrong with the coffee, being fresh and from a good source.
PID Gaggia Classic/Mazzer Mini E
Reg Barber tamper/Grindenstein knockbox
petikas

Postby toma » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:27 pm

I found something similar with the matari mokka in espresso. I enjoyed 50%/ yemen 50% sumatra blends much more than either one alone.
ECM Giotto Premium, La Cimbali Max, Chemex
toma

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping