Robusta

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Robusta

Postby lukas » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:37 pm

Okay, this is gonna be controversial. As some of you know, I worked as part time barista for a few years, for a Café that uses a 60%Robusta-Blend as the main ingredient for the espresso-based beverages, while at the same time was for a few years the source of nearly every german barista champion (yes, if you cared for it, the training was really good).

My opinion on this blend, called Espresso Originale, was always a bit torn. One time there were some issues with the quality that made it undrinkable, but that's sorted and the blend is actually pretty good. Last week, I bought a bag out of curiosity how I'd react to that old well-known blend again. And well, I must say I'm mighty impressed. That coffee is good(tm). It's a killer, yes, and more than two doubles a day are considered a health risk by me at the moment, but the blend is seriously good.

I'm currently pulling 17.5g, 38seconds incl. 10 seconds preinfusion, resulting in 40g liquid shots. I'd describe the taste as full-bodied (guess what), dark, spiced, deeply satisfying (both my need for caffeine as well as for enjoying the espresso). No sign of burnt rubber or any of the real off-taste that happen to be in so many robustas. The Aroma is very marzipany, a slightly nutty taste, the aftertaste is long and liquoricy (no beany, this blend is not for you I'm afraid ;)).

Ok, this is not subtle, but heck it's 60% robusta and not supposed to be subtle. But it's good, and I suspect they recently changed the roast (it looks lighter than what I'm used to, but still oils showing) and somehow I believe the beans are of better quality than when I worked there (last time I talked to Mr. Schwarz he told me of a quality-robusta project he's doing with his roaster and a farm, so that could be true).

Well, all I wanted to say was probably that I'm surprised to see my tastebuds challenged by this very coffee I worked with for so long. If you're keen to try a good robusta-laden blend, try this one (but make sure to get a fresh bag. The best-before date is one year in the future and they still don't do roasted-on dates on the bags).
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

RE: Robusta

Postby Gary » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:03 pm

Very interesting. I know people are quick to dismiss robusta, heck I've been guilty myself in the past, but most of the time its our experience is somewhat bias because we have drunk bad robusta and when someone mentions trying some more it conjours up bad memories. Still I've had some pretty nice washed robustas so its not all bad.
Gary

Postby triptogenetica » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:42 am

hmm - i'm pretty sure that when i first tried espresso, I associated that rubbery taste with it very strongly. It was Cafe Nero which got me into all this, in fact!

Or, it was the contrast between Cafe Nero coffee, and a few, rare good cups I'd had.
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Postby quoad » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:36 am

This thread has reminded me to buy a bag of Steve's robusta, next time I place an order... :)
quoad

Postby staz » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:54 pm

When I order coffee from places with robusta blends I usually get some as it tends to be cheap. I've only ever had a 30% blend though!

I like the taste. Most people I've served it to have said it 'tastes more like coffee should' which has made me rage a few times TBH but I've gotten over that.
staz

Postby espressomattic » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:44 am

Robusta...a good robusta is good in a blend...Monsooned Robusta...but I won't go there again!
espressomattic

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping