Flat White-style DIY

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Flat White-style DIY

Postby dekis » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:42 pm

Someone mentioned once that Flat White's special super fruity explosion is Harar. I made a blend of 50% Panama (as I was out of Brazil) to first signs of second crack and 50% Harar to ~60 seconds after first crack (240C until mid-fc, then 233C). The result is the best coffee I've roasted at home so far! The fruit is so intense it is silly! Whoha!! Home roasting rocks!! 8)

Oh, I hope this isn't the wrong forum? It was supposed to be about the blend really. :oops:
dekis

RE: Flat White-style DIY

Postby lukas » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:05 am

I love those moments of joy!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Styles » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:53 am

I don't think there's any Harrar in the FW blend, but I could be wrong - check with James or Anette.

Can I also just say that I don't find the Flat White blend to be 'super fruity', especially compared with Tim Wendelboe, Mecca, Coffee Collective.... so on and so forth....
Styles

Postby Jasonscheltus » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:44 am

Yeah I'd have to agree. I cupped one of Has Bean's Harars yesterday and I reckon it would stand out in an espresso blend, very distinctive. Could be some plummy Sumatra in there though, I don;t know.
Jasonscheltus

Postby charmon » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:50 am

Why not join the rate my roast post syscrusher started?
charmon

Postby kingseven » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:33 am

No Harrar in the blend, most of the fruit that is in it is coming from two coffees from El Salvador. I do like a good Harrar, but haven't had one myself that was clean and tasty for some time - I ought to try Steve's as I am sure it is great!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby syscrusher » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:56 am

The Flat White blend from a few months back was fairly floral I'd say, more floral than fruity I'd wager. Loved it to bits.

The fruitiest espresso I've had was 50% Aricha 17 and 50% Daterra Sweet. Worked very well. It makes sense then that the 50% Harrar would work, assuming the Panamanian is a typical bourbon-y kind of central (not Geisha I assume).
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby bruceb » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:52 pm

Slightly OT: Being in love with all Yirgacheffe's I would love to get some Aricha. I know that it is all dry processed and it sounds incredible, but I haven't found a source. Can anyone make a recommendation?
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Olings » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:17 pm

There are several places to get it. Mind you, though, it's not all dry processed. I know of at least one micro lot that was washed. We (Tim Wendelboe) have it, but our webshop is still a week or two away, but our good friends at Supreme Roastworks also in Norway have a webshop and have to different micro lots wherein one is washed.

The Aricha at it's best is wonderfully fruity with a creamy mouthfeel and a clean nice acidity to balance it all. A much cleaner Ethiopian than the Harrars. Have yet to taste any ferment in any of the different micro lots I've tasted.

Good hunting! It's worth it!

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby bruceb » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:52 pm

Thanks Olings! I can wait a week. I heard that Tim was out, but I guess that was the old lot. I'm glad to hear that I can soon order it. :wink:
Oh, by the way, how do you suggest roasting it? I generally go just into second crack.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby lukas » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:32 pm

Do I hear a 'second crack no way!!!' now? ;)
The Coffee Collective also has an Aricha Lot in their blend, thuogh I don't know wether they sell greens. I'd love to try some one time :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Olings » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:30 am

We stop it just before second crack for espresso.

Ola

EDIT: Oh. and yes we have a new lot in. Aricha #32. It's not craking very loudly at first even so pay attention.
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:40 am

Olings wrote: We (Tim Wendelboe) have it, but our webshop is still a week or two away

Oooh... ooh, that looks like self promotion to me :lol: So come on then Ola, do tell us how the venture is coming along! Enjoyed the new vids by the way, but it would be cool if you could dub them for the rest of us! :wink: And hurry up with that webshop, you've not idea how limited for choice we are around here with only SQM and HB to choose from :wink:
Gouezeri

Postby syscrusher » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:45 am

I second Supreme Roastworks - they have some stunning Ethiopians - if Wellega #2 is still available get that - it's cracking.
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby Olings » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:49 am

Self promoting eh? ...well ok. I'm sorry. It's just that we've been working with this f***ing web design company since April, and we just now are about to actually finish it... Don't hold your hoses though. It still might not happen for some months. We were supposed to have it up last May... :evil:

Ola
Olings

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping