Iberital MC2 won't grind Elephants ...........

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Iberital MC2 won't grind Elephants ...........

Postby Cafeconhielo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:04 am

:? ...beans that is.

persevered with the Guatamala Elephant beans but the grinder doesn't like them one bit. I can eventually fill the filter but where I normally press once to get the right quantity I have to give it 4 or 5 grinds. It helps if I take the lid off the hopper and put some downward pressure on the beans.

I take it that the MC2 is simply not up to the task with this size of bean? Any suggestions ( apart from buying a better grinder ) would be appreciated.
Cafeconhielo

Postby JulieJayne » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:17 am

Elephant beans are always a problem. I have the same problem with Mahlkonig and Cimbali grinders.

Best suggestion is to buy smaller beans.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby Jasonscheltus » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:18 pm

You could modify it a little. Mazzer had the same problems, and this is what they came up with.

it's an auger (like a feeder). Apparently a customer of Mazzer in the States complained the grinder would not grind the beans he roasted, after debate and analysis the problem showed to be the size of the roasted coffee. This guy managed to find and roast wee beans that were so big, that they just bounced around the top of the burr set rather than slipping and being ground. So Mazzer added this thang to their grinders a "bean cutter", something that looks like an office fan that cuts them beans up before they drop into the burr set. They found that this auger stopped this popcorn effect that troubled Mazzer grinders with a small amount of beans in the hopper, and happily also 1. ground beans at the same rate regardless of the amount of beans in the hopper, and 2. ground beans quicker. A success, if you ask me.

This is all according to Mark Prince, from a post on the coffeed.com forum, ta.
Jasonscheltus

Postby jon » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:45 pm

You mean the Maragogype beans? Doh - I have an MC2, and a bag of these on the way...

I wonder if a hand grinder will do better? Or maybe I'll be reduced to using a pestle and mortar or food processor grinder...
jon

Postby Cafeconhielo » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:10 pm

Looks like I am not the only one then. :wink:
Cafeconhielo

Postby Eschatologist » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:24 pm

Uh, wrap them in a clean tea-towel and beat them with a meat mallet/ rolling pin/ empty wine bottle? If you only occasionally have this problem, this seems the simplest way out.
Eschatologist

Postby Cafeconhielo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:33 pm

I think I will go for the easy option - don't buy elephant beans again . making coffee should be a pleasure not a 'mallet bashing' chore. Having said that - emptying the wine bottle sounds like more fun!!
Cafeconhielo

Postby bruceb » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:45 pm

FWIW, I have been using (and enjoying) various very large Maragogype beans (Mexican and Guatemalan) for years with various commercial grinders and have never had a problem with them nor have I had to break them first. :?
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby jon » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:51 pm

Seems OK in my MC2, actually. It works best if you grind in short bursts - I think 17g took 5 or 6 short bursts, grinding course-ish for FP - which may be sub-ideal, and it does make an unusual noise, but the grind that comes out looks fine.
jon

Postby Cafeconhielo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:12 pm

jon wrote:Seems OK in my MC2, actually. It works best if you grind in short bursts - I think 17g took 5 or 6 short bursts, grinding course-ish for FP - which may be sub-ideal, and it does make an unusual noise, but the grind that comes out looks fine.

MMmmm. That could be the answer - I am grinding fine for espresso - it certainly doesn't like it.
Cafeconhielo

Postby jon » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:12 pm

If anyone thinks that a manual grinder may be easier and worth a try - I tried, it isn't easier :( Slowest grinder ever...

By the way, anyone's beans unusually oily - there's quite a bit come out of mine...
jon

Postby Cafeconhielo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:51 am

I have now dumped the elephants. Life is rosy once more!!
Cafeconhielo

Postby jon » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:37 pm

I'm persevering. They do taste good - just have to allow a bit longer to grind...
jon

Postby triptogenetica » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:17 am

Resurrecting an old thread - I've just roasted some of Bella Barista's maragogype / elephant beans, and in the MC2 they take forever to grind. It helps if i put pressure from above (with the old plastic tamper).

May have to start using the commercial grinder (BB105). Gave it a new burr set recently. Thing is, the noise and the grinds retention puts me off it. But Bruce has me convinced it's probably the way to go.
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping