Torrefacto Beans

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Torrefacto Beans

Postby Jambo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:46 pm

I always enjoy the coffee when I'm in Spain I've just ordered a kilo of these beans from "Orce Serrano"...

It's got 20% Torrefacto roast in the mix.

Anyone know if there any Roasters in the UK that do the occasional batch of Torrefacto or will I always have to send to Spain for it?

Just in case you're not familiar with the Torrefacto beans, it refers to the method of roasting rather than the bean itself. The beans are sprayed with a sugar solution at some point in the roasting process and it caramelises on the bean to give a very distinctive flavour. I don't know if this process needs special equipment or if independent roasters just don't want to risk gumming up their kit with syrup.

Any info would be appreciated.
Last edited by Jambo on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jambo

RE: Torrefacto Beans

Postby bruceb » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:56 pm

This has been discussed quite often here. Have you looked through the archives?
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: RE: Torrefacto Beans

Postby Jambo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:09 pm

bruceb wrote:This has been discussed quite often here. Have you looked through the archives?

No I haven't Bruce. New to the board and haven't gone past the first few pages.
I'll have a look.
Jambo

Re: RE: Torrefacto Beans

Postby Jambo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:33 pm

Jambo wrote:
bruceb wrote:This has been discussed quite often here. Have you looked through the archives?

No I haven't Bruce. New to the board and haven't gone past the first few pages.
I'll have a look.

I've had a look through the archives and there's only been 5 threads since 2004 and this is one of them.

Not one of the threads has come up with a place to buy them in the UK or mentioned any independents experimenting with this method. I guess I must be the only one who likes the coffee when I go to Spain.
Jambo

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping