Winter Blend SMCR

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Winter Blend SMCR

Postby BillyT » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:17 pm

Started pulling the first shots in the shop today, and found it really beautiful!

I was gutted to see the Autumn blend finish up, but have faith people, the Winter blend is a winner too.

Needed to play with the brew recipe a tad, but lots and lots of clean choc, spice and nuts

Bless your palettes Anette and James!
Linea
Anfim
Anfim
Santos
BillyT

RE: Winter Blend SMCR

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:03 am

Sounds fab Bill :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby dsc » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:26 pm

Hi giys,

good to hear:) I will order me a bag or two for Christmas:) if it's as good as the Autumn blend they have another winner!

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby BazBean » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:39 pm

its another winner, but them again would we expect less from any of our TMC posse.

its a more gentle offering in my humble, with a warmth and brighness that is stunning. having had the pleasure and good fortune to play with some of the offering from SQR mile what really stands out is the attention to the mouth feel in all of the blends .... awsome and while i have had many blends that taste incredbile the tactile capacity is not allways there.. ? maybe its been my poor technique some could argue but even that said it actually endorses the quality if poor technique can be designed out.

i think the guys will run out of steam soon..LOL, give em another year and they will be re-packaging freeze dried maxwell house and sticking a SQR mile logo on it .. :wink: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Gary » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:47 pm

Oh anticipation! Im getting a little excited now reading all the good things that have been said about this coffee. Im sure it won't disappoint plus its the perfect thing to christen my new grinder, which should arrive at pretty much the same time as the coffee!

I suspect it shall be a very good christmas!
Gary

Postby Beanie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:56 am

I'm still waiting for the Autumn blend to arrive... maybe we should just go ahead and order this blend too so that we can start it once we finish the Autumn... IF it ever arrives... think it was shipped a week ago.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Tristan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:37 am

Ordered mine up!
The Wild Drink Blog
www.tristanstephenson.com
Expobar Brewtus II, Vario
Tristan

Postby lastcoyote » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:06 am

just ordered mine...big time! :) haven't used that expression since the 90's!
had to stick a bag of muchoki in my shopping basket too. can't get enough of the stuff!
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Cona Vac Pot - Table Model "B"
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby dsc » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:25 pm

Hi guys,

anyone trying brewing this stuff with lower doses? I run mine through a double with around 14.5g in the basket and the extraction is far from perfect. I tried bumping the dose up, but still it's not as easy and forgiving as the Autumn blend.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby syscrusher » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:07 am

I'm finding this to be a much more forgiving blend to my palate. Nothing has gone down the sink so far (I guess I was lucky the first shot was dialed close enough to the desired setting). Have been dosing the suggested 18-20g and brewing at 94C. I'm really loving it.

Apart from the notes in the tag cloud, I'm also getting something on the finish that reminds me of either sherry or a madeira wine. Though I suppose that could easily fall under "complex long finish".

:D
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby Tristan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:47 am

I got lots of sweetness, and yes, the finish is really long. Just a shame I ran out so soon!
The Wild Drink Blog
www.tristanstephenson.com
Expobar Brewtus II, Vario
Tristan

Postby propofolpete » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:07 pm

tried bumping the dose up, but still it's not as easy and forgiving as the Autumn blend.

Regards,
dsc.

I'm on my second 350g bag of milk bar blend and that too is a tricky bean.
Took half the first bag to get spot on and I've had to up the sugar dose a bit; still very nice now I've dialled in the grind really fine and tamped a lot harder than for other bean blends.
Truly beans for the more experienced b'risstah! :lol:
so it goes...

Gaggia. Aristarco. Grindenstien. Has beans. SQM.
propofolpete

Postby fred25 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:51 pm

Slightly OT, but on the subject of Milk Bar's blend I must say I really loved it when I tried it at their bar - lovely syrupy chocolateness, with a finely balanced acidity with it to bring in wonderful liveliness :)
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping