HB Christmas espresso blend

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

RE: re

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:43 pm

I'm sorry, I know Steve doesn't give a monkeys about what I say, but it just wasn't to my taste... it's been a long time since I drank something that dark, so I think my palate has just changed over time. It's not that I didn't like it, I think in some ways, I just didn't "get it", pity really.
I managed to run two shots of the SQM winter blend before leaving London, and that I found much easier to get on with, I'm not sure that the blend was quite as seasonal (definitely not as dark, or as spicy) as what Steve was trying for, but with only two quick doubles pulled, I was far from getting everything out of it that it has to offer.
I'm sure there are loads of people that will love the HB Xmas blend though.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Steve » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:03 am

Dom gets something right for once, I don't give a monkeys ;)

No seriously it was blended with a darker style in mind, with Sumatra, and Harar and yemen there was really only one way to go. You want it lighter there are plenty of alternatives, as I do always lean towards the lighter side too.

But every now and again, a trip top the dark side it good.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:27 pm

Definitely.
In some ways I was surprised by how dark it was, given that I'm used to much lighter blends from my usual roasters (hasbean included), which is why I think my palate may well be partly to blame as I've just grown used to lighter roasts. Kind of like wines I suppose, you get used to certain styles, to the detriment of others.
What other origins/blends would you go for Steve, to get a decent amount of spiciness, but in a lighter roast?
Gouezeri

Postby Steve » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:51 pm

I tend to find spicy tones come with the coffees that prefer a darker roasted excluding Kona which can take a lighter tone while retaining the spicy quality.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:58 am

That's why I asked the question. I tried to think of something that would fit the bill and couldn't, so I asked the expert... and he couldn't think of anything either :lol: I'm thinking I might order some more of the HB blend (if it is still around) when I get back to the UK, just to see if I can adapt to it, play with temps some more too.
Gouezeri

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping