Kenya Peaberry taste and any suggestion for drip coffee blen

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Kenya Peaberry taste and any suggestion for drip coffee blen

Postby stevenzaat » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:57 pm

Again I roasted the Kenya Peaberry and I was wondering if the richness in taste (dried tomatoes, black currents and sparks of red wine). Is this taste typical Kenyan (or African) or typical for the peaberries or is it the combination. I really love this coffee and I am already out of stock after 3 weeks.

Furthermore I am looking for a good drip coffee blend. I already blended with the Kenyan and the Costa Rican. I love coffee with a richness of flavour. I tried the roast I made for the espresso (Brazilian cache/Bolivian organic/Guatemala) in my drip machine, but the taste was too flat. So does anybody has a good suggestion

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby mnemonix » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:25 pm

I remember when I was younger... late 70's , 80's maybe, I was a coffee nut by the time I was in my teens even though I didn't roast or know about espresso... but the words Kenyan and Peaberry seemed to be inseperable, as far as I knew there was no other kind of Kenyan to judge from what the coffee shops sold, and yes, all the flavours you describe and more where there. It was the most unique and interesting tasting coffee I'd come across. Anyway it was a revalation to me to learn more recently that most Kenyan wasn't peaberry, but all those bright, fruity, winey flavours are present in all Kenyans though there was even more variation from citrus to dark berries to wine across the various estates and even varying with each crop from year to year. The piquancy you describe is very particular to Kenyans generally though.

<wistful sigh as mnemonix recalls his youth>
mnemonix

Postby stevenzaat » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:31 pm

Thanks for your nice answer, so I will continue with this delicious bean in peaberry or just the normal shape.

Best regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby Joey » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:14 am

My roaster test-roasted about 10 different Kenia Peaberry samples before he picked the one I have now - the most fruity one. It's so deeply brumbleberry aroma - I love it. Not a very thick
body, but the aroma... wow.

I found out that the Tansania has a similar aroma but more intense, less acity - it's the neighbour area - so you might like that one, too...

A very good filter is Ethiopia Djimmah Mocca, Brasilien Bourbon, China Yunnan, Puerto Rico Selecto....

One of our Filterblends is made of beans from central and south american beans.... I'll try to find out my roasters secret... ;-)

joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby tisri » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:29 am

I've found a blend of Monsoon Malabar and Ethiopian Yirg works nicely in a filter or a press-pot. I usually mix 25g of Monsoon with 35g of Yirg, and make sure the beans are well mixed because they are two very different flavours on their own.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby zix » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:42 pm

tisri wrote:I've found a blend of Monsoon Malabar and Ethiopian Yirg works nicely in a filter or a press-pot. I usually mix 25g of Monsoon with 35g of Yirg, and make sure the beans are well mixed because they are two very different flavours on their own.

It is an exciting combination! I recently tried blending these two for espresso, but the MM outpowers the Yirg, at least the first two or three days (it was a 3 parts Yirg : 2 parts MM with about 5-10% robusta added afterwards). Perhaps if I had had the time to wait 2-3 more days for the MM to settle down, it would´ve been great...

Old Java isn´t half bad as drip either. Probably good for vac pots also. Presso, I haven´t tried.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby tisri » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:07 am

Interesting - my blend had more MM than yours did, and I found the two balanced quite well. The MM was definitely the more dominant flavour but the floweriness of the Yirg definitely came through quite strongly.
tisri

Postby zix » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:16 am

Hmmmm... We both roast dark... How long did you let your MM:s rest?
However, I have found this season´s Monsooned Malabars rather strong and powerful. I buy them locally. Perhaps slightly different origin from yours?
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
zix

Postby tisri » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:40 pm

Usually I rest everything in vacuum bags from 2-6 days. Two days by design, and up to six days if I just don't get to drink it right away. I roast the MM until second crack is going crazy - usually first crack has just about died out by then. In a Hottop you're talking anything up to 22 minutes on level 7, and the beans are mildly oily when they come out, and visibly oily after resting a couple of days.
tisri

Postby zix » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:27 pm

Thanks for the info, tisri! Slightly oily, well into 2nd crack, yep! That´s exactly the same roast degree as I do - although I roast with the heat gun, and for around 20 minutes (sometimes the oven, but same roast degree). To me, this is the best way of roasting MM, anything less and I get a whack over the forehead with a wet towel when drinking it. I´ll try resting them longer next time and we´ll see.

Oh, and to get back to the subject of this thread, I seem to remember that I blended Kenya AA with a bit of Ethiopian Mocha and liked it. But both of these are fine on their own in drip coffee too.
zix

Postby tisri » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:20 am

Kenya AA and Mocha? I'd be interested to know what sort of proportions. I usually keep both of those in stock so I'll have to experiment.
tisri

Postby zix » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:12 pm

I suspect I probably used something like 15-25% mocha. But I would need to do it again before being specific.
zix

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping