Coffee Cupping Database (multi–platform)

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:48 am

Yup :mrgreen:
espressomattic

Postby GreenBean » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:33 am

In order to try to help I will need more information on your operating system, Java version etc.

I have included a very simple troubleshooter program to try to identify any problems. The troubleshooter will work with Java SE 5 and above and provides information on your operating system, Java version etc. If you have the required version of Java the troubleshooter can also try to run the program and will report on messages issued as the program attempts to start.

I would be grateful if you would navigate to the installation folder and run Troubleshoot.jar. If the troubleshooter detects the required version of Java it will enable a button to allow you to attempt to run the program. Click the button and wait for the program to start or to fail. Please then copy and paste the contents of the two windows (top window system data, bottom window program output/error messages) into a PM and send to me. I will then try to identify what the problem is.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:44 pm

Mutty, you legend ......... :P :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Update available

Postby GreenBean » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:20 pm

An updated version 1.1 is available here which fixes a few issues and adds printing of a cupping form. Version information follows:

• Version 1.1 issued on 15/11/08

1. Improved error trapping on program startup

2. Improved Troubleshooter

3. Fixed bug on first startup which, in certain circumstances, could cause CuppingDataExample to be renamed to the wrong folder thus stopping the program from starting thereafter

4. Added facility to print cupping forms. Prints the Cup of Excellence Cupping form (which has the same layout as the program) as a default but this can be changed to any form by adding a CuppingForm.png file of the required form to the installation folder

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Update available

Postby Aadje » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:54 pm

I get about the same error as Matt . . . the outpout I get from the troubleshooter is as follows:

User : Administrator
Operating system: Windows XP
Version : 5.1
Architecture : x86
Java vendor : Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java version : 1.6

Unable to access jarfile C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Administrator\Desktop\CuppingDatabase\CuppingDatabase.jar
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby GreenBean » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:24 pm

Ahh, thank you for the information. This message is issued by the java virtual machine because it can not find the jar file so my program never runs. This is due to Windows playing tricks with file paths in Documents and Settings and other folders.

Please expand the compressed file to your c: drive as c:\CuppingDatabase and I think you will find everything works. Please advise if this solves your problem.

If anyone else has problems please PM me with as much information as possible including the contents of both Troubleshooter windows after trying to run the program.

GreenBean

Postby Aadje » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:40 pm

Woohoo it works now :) Thanks
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby espressomattic » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:03 pm

Mine too!

Cheers GB!
espressomattic

Postby GreenBean » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:03 pm

Glad that has sorted it for you guys. :D Unfortunately, there are so many platforms, operating systems and flavours of operating systems it is difficult to cover all options. I need feedback from you guys for situations different from my tests.

I have added a troubleshooting section to the website to warn others to check for this problem if they are running Windows XP. I will add to this if people advise me of other problems.

GreenBean

Version 1.2 available

Postby GreenBean » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:44 am

A new version of this program is available here. Version information follows:

• Version 1.2 issued on 17/11/08

1. Changes to program start up code to improve compatibility with different operating systems. If you can run version 1.1 on your system there is no need to update to this version.

If version 1.1 does not run on your system then this version may help, in particular this version handles spaces in the path to the program better than earlier versions.

GreenBean

RE: Version 1.2 available

Postby espressomattic » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:43 pm

Just want to say GB that I am really enjoying logging the coffees and comparing my scores to Steves. It adds another dimension to the habit, sorry I mean hobby...
espressomattic

Re: RE: Version 1.2 available

Postby GreenBean » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:24 pm

espressomattic wrote:Just want to say GB that I am really enjoying logging the coffees and comparing my scores to Steves. It adds another dimension to the habit, sorry I mean hobby...

Glad you are enjoying playing. You will have to try the coffee roast database next.

GreenBean

RE: Re: RE: Version 1.2 available

Postby espressomattic » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:09 pm

I did download it, looked at it and got scared. Lets just say my Gene is not that profilable, but that isanother much chatted about thresad :(
espressomattic

Re: RE: Re: RE: Version 1.2 available

Postby GreenBean » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:11 pm

espressomattic wrote:I did download it, looked at it and got scared. Lets just say my Gene is not that profilable, but that isanother much chatted about thresad :(

Time to upgrade to a Hottop? :D

GreenBean

A new version of CuppingDatabase is available

Postby GreenBean » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:10 pm

A new version of CuppingDatabase is now available here. This version has been tested on, and is suitable for, Mac OSX, Windows Vista, Windows XP and Linux.

A screen shot of it running on OS X is now included in the screen shots section of the web site at the above link. Previous versions have had some issues with the layout of the data entry controls in OS X. These are resolved in this version.

I would like to thank alwrjp for initially testing this program and confirming that it did run on OS X (with layout issues) and Ericc for his help testing several modified versions on OS X to ensure the issues were resolved.

Version information follows:

Version 1.3.2 issued on 23/11/08

1. Changes to the layout of data entry controls which have been tested on Mac OS X, Windows Vista, Windows XP and Linux. This version is now satisfactory for use on any of these operating systems.

GreenBean

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping