Are my tastebuds hopeless?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby sicinius » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:04 am

So anyone for a strawberry dipped in cow dung

"Like wet straw that's been on the barn floor for a few days, with bits of bubble gum sticking to it followed by a blast of cherry cola."

It's like looking at a painting. The longer you look, the more you think about it, the more you see. But it won't necessarily change or affect your first impressions. It will help you understand WHY you like it, which has gotta be helpful.

They tried to deliver my machine yesterday in the 25 minutes it took me to go to the Post Ofiice and back. :roll:

Today, possibly.
sicinius

Re: RE: Re: RE: Are my tastebuds hopeless?

Postby Steve » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:03 am

Jaanus wrote:whenever it`s possible taste different things, i`ve been around my backyard licking stones and tree bark and munched on some flowers i have there... one should constantly try to be aware of the tastes and smells that hover around. sometimes i find myself walking down a street and trying to identify different scents that are about.

Its a curse for sure, I do exactly the same. I often chomp on newspaper and smell dusters more than I should just to remind my self of the tastes. One day I'll be allowed food :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:05 am

sicinius wrote:
So anyone for a strawberry dipped in cow dung

"Like wet straw that's been on the barn floor for a few days, with bits of bubble gum sticking to it followed by a blast of cherry cola."

It's like looking at a painting. The longer you look, the more you think about it, the more you see..

I think this is why the first impression that comes into your mind is important. I always try and say the first thing that comes into my mind and it normally works well.

I always blind taste too, as I find my mind open to suggestion, if its from indo I expect spice if its from Kenya I expect big fruit.

Hope your machine arrived.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby GreenBean » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:50 am

I was thinking of you guys with your cow dung tasting, stable floor licking and general non food item tasting ways when I read a recent New Scientist article titled For tastier food, just add bacteria .

The article covers the finding that bacteria in the mouth not only enhance, but actually develop, some flavours from the food in the mouth. Perhaps you are not all quite as mad as I suspected. Perhaps your strange licking and tasting habits are adding to the bacterial flora in your mouth to enhance future tasting experiences. :? :)

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby sicinius » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:18 am

Hope your machine arrived.

Sniff.

I have a phone that wasn't supposed to arrive till Monday, deliveries of coffee and accessories from Hasbean, Square Mile and Happydonkey. It's coming from La Gondola, who had a new machine with slight scratches, (they're close to the factory and get all such) invisible in photographs and on the side I won't see anyway.

€250 off list - almost a free grinder, but it's not here . . . .
sicinius

Postby tap » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:27 pm

usually tasting umm.. something familiar, but... fruity- or,..spicy- or,.. can't really name it lemon?orange?grapefruit?tangerine?

need sniffing gravel more more :|
lately mostly drinking coffee or tea
tap

Postby Steve » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:07 pm

Tap Gravel rocks smell it when you can, taste it occasionally :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby tap » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:29 am

flowers mostly taste bitterr.. :shock:
lately mostly drinking coffee or tea
tap

Postby SlowRain » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:58 pm

So I'm not alone.

I don't drink espresso very often, but I had three today--actually, a double, then a single.

Apparently it was supposed to taste chocolaty, caramely, almondy, and walnuty. To me it tasted sour and sharp at the back of my mouth, okay at the front, something vapory like alcohol floating in my nose, and a short aftertaste that tasted like...well...coffee. After I told her the double tasted fruity, she gave me a funny look and a single on the house. The single was better, but I had also just had a piece of chocolate shortly before drinking it. The single still tasted fruity, but less so.

Even when I go in to buy beans, I usually look for something with a chocolate or caramel profile, and I avoid anything with citrus, acidy, fruity on the tasting notes. That's not necessarily because I can taste any of those flavors, it's just that what the person cupping writes down as those flavors happen to be what I've discovered I either like or dislike. I have yet to taste blueberries or chocolate in my cup. It all just tastes like coffee to me--subtly different coffee, but coffee nonetheless. I'm not even sure I'm interested in identifying the different flavors. So long as I know what words to look for on the tasting notes, I know what to buy. I also don't try to analyze my beef or Scotch, for example, to see what fruity or chocolaty flavors pop up, I just try to find the stuff that tastes good to me.
SlowRain

Postby dsc » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:27 pm

Hi guys,

flowers mostly taste bitterr.. Shocked

you should try face creams:) some of them are actually quite nice, just remember not to eat too much and do NOT taste anti-cellulite creams, they can make your tongue go craazy;)

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby Aadje » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:23 pm

uhh, is there something you want to tell us dsc? :roll: ;)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

re

Postby dsc » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:52 pm

Hi Aadje,

uhm... I'm a woman? ;) nah the face creams weren't mine (and no I haven't got cellulite;)).

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

RE: re

Postby mattmills » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:36 pm

To the original poster.
In essence the use of all of these terms is simply a way of translating what an individual tastes to another person.
There are a number of set terms that are accepted by the whole indurty and these can be pretty straight forward. Sweet / bitter / astringent / acidic / earthy etc
The birth of the specialty industry opened the door to far more elaborate terms but these are very subjective. We have clients who love some coffees and give it all kinds on descriptions under the sun. Give the same coffee to another client and they turn round and say it is rejected and unclean.

To be honest all of these descriptive flavours are fun and are simply a way for you to express what you think of the coffee. A coffee does not taste like a 3 year old penny, but i am sure you imagination and think of what that may taste like and you can build a picture in you mind of what the coffee may taste like.

If you want to get involved then when you taste a coffee just let you imagination run and see where you get to, whether it is a barn door or peach icecream. It is more for your own enjoyment than for others.
mattmills

Postby espressomattic » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:55 pm

My personal favourite is.....

COFFEE

I found this with a shot of Alaska recently, it just tasted of, well Coffee. Very nice coffee. It was all very amusing for a very short period of time... :roll:

Like I have said, will say and always will say, it's about enjoying it, having fun and the moment you get too anal about, hang your PF's up and find something else because you have lost the enjoyment IMHO :)
espressomattic

Postby Jaanus » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:11 pm

oh no, not the anal things again :lol:
La Cimbali Junior D/1
Mazzer Super Jolly
other stuff
------------------------------------
Caffeine. My drug of choice...
Jaanus

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping