Indian Balmadi Natural Processed

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Indian Balmadi Natural Processed

Postby Chrisweaver » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:29 am

Hey guys

Not sure how many of you have tried this coffee yet, the Indian Balmadi Natural Processed from Hasbean. It's bio-dynamic, but more impressively, its one of the strangest coffees I've ever tasted.

Strawberries come bursting out on the nose the second it hits your tongue, followed by a kind of farmyard, manure type hint. Not unpleasant by any means. And then as the aftertaste comes in, you get this incredibly fragrant sesame oil flavour, and even the same viscosity and mouthfeel. A truly interesting and exciting coffee to drink.

This is a coffee that really conjures vivid images of a bio-dynamic plantation in India, with the red fruit, the manure in a cows horn (read up on bio-dynamic if this confuses you) and the general aromatic ideas of India!
Chrisweaver

RE: Indian Balmadi Natural Processed

Postby tap » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:53 pm

not actually sure if i have the natural or washed(must ask) from another source overhere but eventhough me nose runnign cold and brewing through flannel get this fruitywiney signals with mellowround mouthfeel...nothing expected from india new favorite coffee when getting better expected!
lately mostly drinking coffee or tea
tap

Postby Chrisweaver » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:14 pm

Hmm that profile sounds more like what I'd expect from a washed coffee. I think the natural is so distinct that'd you know it in a second.

I do need to try the washed coffee sometime, though to be honest, the winey notes put me off a little, similar to one of the Kenyan coffees.
Chrisweaver

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:27 pm

Yup strawberries and cow dung. Weird, weird coffee to cup but strangely moreish ..... :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Chrisweaver » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:30 pm

It was moreish, though the next day when I got home and whipped up another cup with my friend. I found myself getting sick of it a little faster than I hoped.

Give me a Monsooned Maly anytime!
Chrisweaver

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:39 pm

Yes, I totally get what you are saying. We cupped it on the same table as La Illusion (hardly a level playing field of course) and where the Illusion just kept doing amazing things as it cooled, the Balmadi was a fun sensory experience that became almost metallic as the temperature dropped. That said, I think everyone should try it as one of the world's stranger coffees but one that, as Chris suggested, can be highly enjoyable too :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby quoad » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:23 am

Strawberries and cow manure, ey...?

I think I'll be ordering some of this, sharpish...
quoad

Postby tap » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:24 pm

it is washed as thy expected. bears recemlance to kenyan maybe washed ethiopians even. though those are most liked by me.need get that natural one!

anyway not to trust tastebuds of feverish person too much. less of partly colorblind one :lol:
Hmm that profile sounds more like what I'd expect from a washed coffee. I think the natural is so distinct that'd you know it in a second.

I do need to try the washed coffee sometime, though to be honest, the winey notes put me off a little, similar to one of the Kenyan coffees.
lately mostly drinking coffee or tea
tap

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:40 pm

quoad wrote:Strawberries and cow manure, ey...?

I think I'll be ordering some of this, sharpish...

Yes, but oddly ..... ery strangely really ...... not on a bad way! :P

You should try it .... it's really worth a go :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:18 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Yup strawberries and cow dung. Weird, weird coffee to cup but strangely moreish ..... :D

OK, I have tried to resist commenting on this but I just have to ask about the cow dung.

1. First the obvious question, how do you know what cow dung tastes like?

2. Usually people try to interpret and describe the taste of a coffee using references to flavours most people will be familiar with. Is it expected that most people will know what cow dung tastes like?

3. There is an assumption in using cow dung in the description that all cow dung tastes the same. Has this been verified? Has anyone cupped the product from the different breeds in different seasons/diets.

Please do not take this as a personal attack I just feel that we should try to be as accurate as possible in our descriptions. :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby syscrusher » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:24 pm

Surprisingly cow dung does not taste as good as it smells. A bit like coffee that way.
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:37 pm

You are quite right GB in everything you say. The nearest I have come to tasting cow dung is, like most, to have unfortunately sucked in the aroma over my tongue. The point about different flavoured dung is well made. I propose that we have a TMC cow dumg cupping in order to formulate a collective opinion about all of this ;)

Slightly aside of the cow dung issue, I have experienced a fair bit of bull dung in my time and can confirm that it does indeed come in many guises and various flavours. To experience bull dung in it's purest form, I think one has to expose oneself to almost any large organisation today and allow the staff (all of whom have been trained to perfection in the art) to demonstrate their own particular special 'skillset' which enevitably involves very little to do with resolving the issue at hand. Is it at all obvious that we hare, once again, having issues with our ISP and BT's ability to send out an engineer when they say that they are going to? Ahhhhh, happy days! :(
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby petikas » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:13 pm

So is this dung produced by the cow featured in the thread about milk that doesn't froth or not?
PID Gaggia Classic/Mazzer Mini E
Reg Barber tamper/Grindenstein knockbox
petikas

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:04 pm

I think so - it is multi-talented to say the least :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby fred25 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:52 pm

Apparently it can fart its way through Handel's Trumpet Concerto tune too...
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping