Heads up: watch out for them there rocks!

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Heads up: watch out for them there rocks!

Postby Puck » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:55 pm

Hi All,

I’ve read posts from people in the past, who’ve had rocks in their beans, so I’ve always invested half a minute or so inspecting each batch of beans before and after roasting, but to be honest, I was beginning to grow complacent having never come across any foreign objects whatsoever.

In fact I am truly amazed at the very high quality of the beans, with just the occasional damaged or mutant bean.

Anyway, I was awarded a little surprise today that has made the vigilance all worthwhile. :shock:

I think, today I just saved my grinder. 8)

So, this is just a quick heads-up to all you bean lovers out there, keep your eyes peeled, and may you keep your grinders from harm. :)

Cheers..
Attachments
Rock.jpg
My Rock
Rock.jpg (29.86 KiB) Viewed 9120 times
(active kit) Izzo Alex Duetto | Versalab M3 | Hottop 8828P
(retired kit)Rancilio Silvia | KitchenAid Grinder | Mazzer Major | Hearthware iRoast 2
Puck

RE: Heads up: watch out for them there rocks!

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:06 am

That's why I don't like magnets, as they give you a false sense of security. I do find that it is much more common (and even then it is quite rare) to find stones or twigs with greens than it is with roasted though.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Puck » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:19 am

Magnets?.. Is that some method used to separate out the stones? Not heard of that before. I didn't know stones were magnetic. :shock:
(retired kit)Rancilio Silvia | KitchenAid Grinder | Mazzer Major | Hearthware iRoast 2
Puck

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:27 am

Actually, from memory, it's something Baz uses to attract girlfriends :wink:
We've had this topic here before a number of times. What we're referring to is one of these. It's meant to stop bits of metal from falling in to your grinder. Obviously, does absolutely nada for stopping stones (thus my warning above)
Gouezeri

Postby Puck » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:39 am

Ah, right, thought that sounded bit weird.

So you can't beat the Mk1 eyeball :D

Edit: typo.
Puck

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:45 am

Well, in my experience, eyeballs tend not to cause as much damage to the burrs, though they do take a long time to clean up from afterwards.
Gouezeri

Postby GreenBean » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:49 am

Gouezeri wrote:Well, in my experience, eyeballs tend not to cause as much damage to the burrs, though they do take a long time to clean up from afterwards.

In your experience? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:52 am

Well, I would wink at that comment, but....
:twisted:
Gouezeri

Postby Puck » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:53 am

As you can see from my avatar (which is a genuine likeness) I have bean eyes.
So if they accidentally get ground, I just pop in some new ones. I prefer high mountain ones… the view is so much better. :lol:

Edit: I've now changed my avatar, so this post no longer makes sense. Actually I don't think it did anyway. :)
Last edited by Puck on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puck

Postby Jasonscheltus » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:32 pm

The other really common type of forgein object is the drying patio stone - it's just cement really, so it's quite soft and doesn't make too much of a mess of your grinder.

Quartz and harder stones, like the one in your picture, make a bit more of a crack as they go through your burrs and prolly hurt a little more.

One roaster I met in Melbourne was using a destoner at they had quite a collection of *things...
Jasonscheltus

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:41 pm

Ooh, there are some good ones in there! :lol:
I dread to think what the risks are like for a commercial outlet, getting through kilos of beans each week, as looking out for this kinda stuff becomes much harder! Whereas your average home barista, weighing for each shot, is gonna spot stuff much quicker.
Hey Steve (or Ivo or Walter), any comment on what it is like roasting stuff like this? Ie what kinda of damage can it do to a machine?
Gouezeri

Postby Olings » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:28 pm

Our roast drum is made in cast iron, and a little stone wouldn't do to much damage.

We have found several different objects among our green beans, but when you buy coffee of higher quality such as the roasters in the specialty coffee part of the industry do, they are rare.

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby BazBean » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:30 pm

over recent years I have managed to grind a fair few tons of beans now and have only ever had 1 piece of gravel and one unroasted bean.. not a bad average me thinks
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Bombcup » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:27 pm

I investigated a jammed grinder the other week and found a pound coin in there. Coin was mullered but the burrs were undamaged. Dittings rule!
Bombcup

Re: RE: Heads up: watch out for them there rocks!

Postby quoad » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:38 am

Gouezeri wrote:That's why I don't like magnets, as they give you a false sense of security. I do find that it is much more common (and even then it is quite rare) to find stones or twigs with greens than it is with roasted though.

Do ya know, it hadn't even occurred to me that the screw that f*%^ed up my Macap could've been in with the beans when they arrived.

Though I'm still to find where the b*%ger came from... So... Hmmmm.

Interesting thread :twisted:
quoad

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping