Kopi Luwak

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Kopi Luwak

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:59 pm

I've been offered some of this bean. I must admit I'm really interested if the price is right has any one any experiance of it ? Any cuppping notes ?

Cheers
Steve
Founder Member

Ah yes, civet shit

Postby phil » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:28 pm

This amused me
Attachments
kopiluwakmovie.gif
kopiluwakmovie.gif (72.47 KiB) Viewed 13242 times
phil
Founder Member

Postby phil » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:30 pm

It's supposed to be very, very expensive. You know of course what this stuff is?
phil
Founder Member

Postby michel » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:05 pm

Im new at toomuchcoffee, but have had my first big laugh already! Thanks Phil. :lol:
Eeffoc, please be careful that you do buy the real Kopi Luwak, as there is a lot of fake on the market, offered by people who want to make quick money... If I was walking in your shoes, I would be very sure the seller is someone I'm familiar with, or has good references. (and even then, the seller may not even know the stuff he is selling is not the real Kopi). On the other hand, I would be excited from here to the moon aswell, and as the price is 'reasonable' maybee it's worth a try...
(You probably already knew you have to be very cautious about Kopi-bargains but a warned man count's for two... - dutch saying -)
Michel
michel

Postby Steve » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:47 am

The supplier is a big brokers which I have dealed with before. They are where I get my Blue mountain from and I have found them really reliable. I had the same concerns too but I'm as sure as you can be its the real deal. He phoned me specifically to ask me If I wanted it because he know for my love of the unusual (that includes the wife :D ).

I'll be makin a few more calls to him today to tie down a price

Later guys
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:31 am

I wouldn't buy too much - I dunno how this will go. Coffee geeks may want to try this for the sheer sake of it, but I can't imagine it being a big seller. I'm in two minds myself as to whether I would buy some. If I do of course it will be as "browns" (you surely can't call these things "green" considering their provenance :lol: )

Then again I understand you don't get to buy too much in one go anyway. Keep us updated.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:17 pm

I would not be interested. I am highly suspicious of cheap exclusive stuff. Secondly, it doesn't trigger my fancy, like overrated champagne brands. Much more interested in JBM.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby alans » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:57 pm

I'm highly suspicious of the whole thing, but an English friend of mine here in Dublin wants to buy some so he can give his family a nice cup after the Christmas meal, telling them afterwoods of course :wink:. So if you do get some I've got a customer for you, and I do think there is a novelty market for it. But he's saying he only wants to spend €50, so it seems the novelty value isn't as high as the price!
alans

Postby Steve » Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:32 pm

Its deffinalty on its way. Althogu him not 100% sure on price (blank cheque invoicing). I'm hoping to do some smaller christmas packs i'll keep you informed when I know more
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:43 pm

Eeffoc wrote:Although I'm not 100% sure on price (blank cheque invoicing)

Oy! Rather you than me.

Sunnyfield wrote:I am highly suspicious of cheap exclusive stuff

Nobody said it was cheap Eward. Nobody said how much it costs at all. See the above. Fancy getting some for Xmas? Maybe I should drop Lai Ping a note .... :lol:
phil
Founder Member

Postby HughF » Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:52 pm

I wouldn't want Kopi Luwak myself, sorry.
I have tried green SM Kona and "high street" JBM and they've both been very good but no more enjoyable (to me) than a few of my favourite normally-priced green beans (e.g. MM Timor, MM PNG) for cafetiere. I'm still interested in trying other Konas e.g. SmithFarms direct (thanks Phil), not sure about JBM (I didn't know any better 4 years ago - it was ready-roasted JBM and only slightly better than the same high street shops ready-roasted Kenya Peaberry).

Hmmmm... maybe I should try 1lb. of GREEN JBM to give it a fair try when my stash shrinks a bit. Since I'm at home during the week now, I could have an espresso session any/every day, improve my espresso-making technique a lot faster - and shrink my greens stash, giving myself an excuse for buying more green beans.
It's a plan!

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Steve » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:14 pm

its here! I've roasted a test batch up so expect some cupping notes by the weekend ! Cant wait poo covered coffee.

To answer the next question its washed its clean and not a bit of poo in sight :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby mnemonix » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:40 am

I only learned what it was when it was mentioned in an episode of CSI (Channel 5) last weekend - its 'unique' amino acid signature was used to identify the coffee loving killer !
mnemonix

Postby HughF » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:55 pm

FYI : the guy from coffeecrew.com (colin) from alt.coffee advised on that episode.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Sunnyfield » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:50 pm

Well... what is the verdict, Steve?
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping