Zigana Coffee

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Zigana Coffee

Postby espressomattic » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:49 pm

I think I have made mention of this blend before...anyway, a little story from coffee land...

I bought a bag off the shelf (Never more than a couple of weeks old). It tasted wrong and had a really burnt taste yet the beans seemd medium dark roasted. I gave the roaster a call, a guy named Ray. He recieved the feedback really well and said he thought he had left the vents closed and allowed too much smoke to stay inside the drum. He did this to try to conserve heat. Anyway he kindly sent a replacement.

I tried these and they still tatsed a little tainted but OK.

Yesterday I get another bag from him. So I call him and ask 'Why????'

Turns out he found a couple of problems that my 'complaint' had highlighted, had rectified them and sent me an ultra fresh sample. He asked if I would try it and give feedback.

The blend was totally lovely, really rich, cocoa molasses, dark berry, chocolate and a spicey finish. So I fed this back and Ray was really pleased that this was how it tasted. He divuled it is a very complicated blend of Yirg, Kenyan, Guatemalen, Brazil, Colombian and PNG. yet despite it's huge variety, each bean really shines through.

The moral of the story? Never be afraid to talk to the roaster!

Kia Ora

Matt
espressomattic

RE: Zigana Coffee

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:24 pm

I'm sure he is only too pleased that you mentioned it, otherwise the problem would have continued. Nice one mate, glad it worked out for you both. The beans sound great too :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: Zigana Coffee

Postby BazBean » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:34 pm

great story and encouragment to give honest feedback...

The key word as allways is feedback rather than critasism and when a customer shows passion and an honest desire to help an owner improve there offerings it wonderfull and a change i think to people just wanting to whinge..
good on ya sport

robinsons barley

Barry
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Re: RE: Zigana Coffee

Postby espressomattic » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:06 pm

BazBean wrote:
robinsons barley

:lol:
espressomattic

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping