El Salvador La Ilusion

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

El Salvador La Ilusion

Postby Bennicus » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Just arrived in the post an hour ago, I'm on my 2nd cup already, very very nice but I'm not sure I should be spending this much on coffee! :lol:
Ponte Vecchio Lusso, Mazzer SJ, beans from Steve.
R.I.P. Melitta filter + filter papers, hot water, gravity, cheapo Russel Hobbs grinder "The Grindinator"
Bennicus

RE: El Salvador La Ilusion

Postby petikas » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:54 pm

I'm on my second bag from HasBean and I can say this coffee is producing the best tasting espresso I ever managed on my setup!
Very pleased with it!
PID Gaggia Classic/Mazzer Mini E
Reg Barber tamper/Grindenstein knockbox
petikas

RE: El Salvador La Ilusion

Postby darrensandford » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:55 am

I have just finished the bag I got on preorder. It is a truely awesome coffee. Gooseberry and rhubarb crumble in a cup!
darrensandford

Re: RE: El Salvador La Ilusion

Postby GreenBean » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:42 am

darrensandford wrote:I have just finished the bag I got on preorder. It is a truely awesome coffee. Gooseberry and rhubarb crumble in a cup!

Ahhh, thanks for that. I was beginning to think that I would have to splash out on trying this coffee. The mention of gooseberry and rhubarb has put me off and saved me some cash.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Re: RE: El Salvador La Ilusion

Postby darrensandford » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:48 am

But... but... in a good way!
darrensandford

Postby Steve » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:18 pm

I can for sure see those descriptors working, like a very sweet gooseberry, almost artificial overly sweet rhubarb like taste. Hmm I'm going to get you guys to write descriptors in the future.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby darrensandford » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:08 pm

That's where the "crumble" came from, I think - it had a definite caramelly, toffee sweetness like a nice toasty crumble :)
darrensandford

Re: RE: Re: RE: El Salvador La Ilusion

Postby GreenBean » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:37 pm

Steve wrote:I can for sure see those descriptors working, like a very sweet gooseberry, almost artificial overly sweet rhubarb like taste. Hmm I'm going to get you guys to write descriptors in the future.

Wow! I just knew that if Steve said it was good it would be good. I was put off by the description of gooseberry and rhubarb for a time but decided that I would give it a try.

This is a lovely, surprising, delightful coffee. It is two hours since my last cup and I am still enjoying the wonderful sharp but sweet aftertaste. I am happy to say that the flavour reminds me of fruit salad sweets rather than rhubarb (which I do not like). It is a very clean coffee with many distinct flavours and I can fully understand the description of complex flavours completely in balance.

So I would say your description is spot on Steve. I do not normally buy coffees in this price range but I would definitely buy this again. :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: El Salvador La Ilusion

Postby Chrisweaver » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:24 am

I had the distinct luxury of cupping this with Steve at the Hasbean roastery, and it is a stunning coffee. The aroma on the nose, just of the grounds is truly epic. Such an absolutely fragrant coffee.

And just to throw another descriptor in.... WHAM BARS :D

You guys can listen to the cupping on the soon to be released podcast!
Chrisweaver

Postby Gouezeri » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:25 pm

Yeah, Mark, Phil and I cupped this with Steve a while back. Definitely wham bars, good find Chris, I know exactly what you mean!
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:32 pm

I was fantastic from the Clover too ...... Steve's descriptor of Fruit Salad chews was spot on for me and as it cooled I got a bit of sherbet in there too. Lovely coffee :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:46 am

That's it though Mark... fruit salad + sherbet = wham bar! Maybe you are just too old to remember them! :P
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: El Salvador La Ilusion

Postby fred25 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:38 am

Chrisweaver wrote:I had the distinct luxury of cupping this with Steve at the Hasbean roastery, and it is a stunning coffee. The aroma on the nose, just of the grounds is truly epic. Such an absolutely fragrant coffee.

And just to throw another descriptor in.... WHAM BARS :D

You guys can listen to the cupping on the soon to be released podcast!

Just listened to the podcast, Chris - congratulations, it's really great stuff!

Really loved it :D
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: El Salvador La Ilusion

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:44 pm

Gouezeri wrote:That's it though Mark... fruit salad + sherbet = wham bar! Maybe you are just too old to remember them! :P

I thought a 'Wham bar' was something to do with a certain 80's pop duo! :shock: :oops: :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Chrisweaver » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:24 pm

for some reason, a load of pubs in Lincoln have started selling Wham bars again... weird!

And thanks for the kind words on the podcast :)

Chris
Chrisweaver

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping