green beans group purchase. Anyone interested?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

green beans group purchase. Anyone interested?

Postby ilwoggo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:33 pm

As per topic, i'm about to go to a green beans wholesaler here and buy a 60kg bag.

They have a wide choice and i narrowed my aim dawn to either yirgacheffe gr.2 or monsooned malabar or harrar longberry

Final price would be around 5 or 6 euros per kilo

If anyone wants to join in (i can't drink that much coffee before the greens become too old) i'm more than glad to redistribute it at the above price plus bare shipping cost

drop me a line if interested

Thanks
ilwoggo

RE: green beans group purchase. Anyone interested?

Postby crphillips » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:09 pm

mmm, Yirgacheffe....one of my favourite coffees........got tonns of the stuff at the moment though...cheers.
La Pavoni Pub (Plumbed In)
Mazzer Mini E'
Gene Cafe
Vacu-Seal
crphillips

RE: green beans group purchase. Anyone interested?

Postby quoad » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:38 pm

I've just had a painfully awful experience with Harrar Longberry.

From a micro-roaster who sounded REALLY interesting, and who I was thoroughly keen to investigate / explore. Only to have a couple of tubs of... pure bitterness... turn up.

I've tried dropping my thermostat to daft-low levels (til the beans turned sour - the bitterness STILL remained!), tinkering with the pressure, the grind, the tamp, the length of extraction, missing out the beginning / end of the extraction, using t'beans in a drip machine, a vacpot - you name it. Bitter, bitter, bitter. Not good-bitter. All-encompassing, overwhelming bitterness.

BUT if you go for one of the other two (and, hell, why not - if you go for Harrar n all) - any idea of postage costs to the UK?

Also - got any more provenance for the beans? Out of curiosity?
quoad

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping