Unexpected sweetness developing

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Unexpected sweetness developing

Postby technojock » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:22 pm

Been entertaining myself for a few weeks now with the basics of blending, specifically Mokha/Java style roasts for the FP. It's amazing how the coffee's a constantly changing variable, with the taste subtly altering over several days. Quite a learning experience, I can see me experimenting here for a while.

My latest mix (some of HB's Sulcoto Sulwasi/Harar, about 1:1 ratio of each) surprised me by developing a real sweetness just as I reached the last 3-4 cups of the batch, just under a couple of weeks from roasting. Is this expected, or a freak phenomena which I may never experience again?

Either way, it was really more-ish.
: Heatgun / Dualit / French Press / Aeropress :
technojock

RE: Unexpected sweetness developing

Postby Bertie_Doe » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:20 pm

Haraar is one of my fav varietals, although I've never been able to taste much blueberry in it. I suspect it's because I roast too dark. The last time I topped up my stash, I bought some Sulcoto Sulwasi, but Steve was out of Haraar. I've tried the Sulwasi with Monsooned Malabar and it works well, in particular when the beans age, from day 7 to day 10.
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

RE: Unexpected sweetness developing

Postby Beanie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:30 am

With the addition of the El Salvador La Fany to your Sulotco/Harrar mix - it was my favourite home-made Blend of 2006 :D From memory, plenty of sweetness, fullness of body, bit of silkiness, kinda fruity, somewhat lively yet sorta mellow, creamy... damn I need me some more of that - I think I can almost smell that blend again... dried mangoes, caramel, butterscotchy, berryish *drool*.

I so totally get what you mean about it being 'more-ish' :D
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Olings » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:08 pm

Definately don't roast the Harrar to dark if you want the fruitiness. Also resting the beans will get rid of the smokiness from the roasting (more smoke and longer resting period needed the darker you roast).

Also; Have you been drinking your coffee at a different time of the day lately, maybe after a meal or something like this? The temperature outside might also affect your tastebuds as will your mood believe it or not.

I'm currently researching the field of taste and the misconception that it actually is an objective perception. Very interesting. A lot of research done by tobacco companies for instance. :?

Just a thought.

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby technojock » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:09 pm

Thanks for your comments folks.

Bertie - I've always been a bit wary of Monsooned Malabar, it's a bit of a "love it or hate it" coffee. I think the time has come to buy a bag and see how I get on. I recall reading that you only need a little MM or it dominates the cup, how much MM did you use?

Bean Believer - I see I'll be ordering a bag of La Fany too. HB has all three in green last time I looked... Are you willing to let me into your secret of how much to use of each?

Olings - you've got me wondering if I roast a bit lighter. Or maybe a bit darker, just to see what happens. Or maybe roast the two beans separately and blend afterwards which is maybe the best option for serious experimentation. I love this, so much to learn.

I never knew taste was so complicated, I just put taste changes down to the bean changing and the many variables making coffee in the FP. I know that I don't enjoy coffee as much when I'm stressed, but I put that down to not taking time to savour the cup. I hadn't considered my tastebuds being a variable too.
: Heatgun / Dualit / French Press / Aeropress :
technojock

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping