Yirg, Fazenda and Monsooned

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Yirg, Fazenda and Monsooned

Postby Bertie_Doe » Wed May 28, 2008 1:11 pm

In the past, my attempts at blending have been dismal. Yesterday it was forced upon me, when I came towards the end of some E. Yirgacheffe, Fazenda Monte Alegre and some Monsooned Malabar.

These beans are now 10 days old; the Fazenda I roasted to FC+ and the others to Lt.Vienna with oil spots showing. 5gr each and a coolish brew temp of 87C, produced a delightfully smooth espresso.

The aggressive earthy notes of the Monsooned, were subdued (I believe) by the brighter taste of the Fazenda. Their was a nuttiness to the drink and I could detect hints of caramel and milk choc.

I've no intention of taking up blending too seriously. Prior to the arrival of the dental vibrator, I tried my hand at blending in the p/f. i.e. split-dosing or layering the lighter roast, above the darker roast. As you can imagine, the hassle factor was large and time consuming. Time is the enemy of temperature control etc, etc.

However, it's nice to experiment every now and then, with chucking a few single origins into the casserole and see what emerges. Sadly I've often found that SO's which are brilliant 'stand alone' coffees, often are bland and dismal - when mixed.

Bertie
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

RE: Yirg, Fazenda and Monsooned

Postby espressomattic » Wed May 28, 2008 10:54 pm

Bertie ;)

Nice sounding blend. Smilar to a blend available here which has MM, Kenyan, Mexican and Java. The Mexican/Kenyan ally mellow the MM as you have describd and th MM does the same to the Aciic Kenyan an Mexican. MM is a bugger to blend, but if you get it rit it really sits well in a cup IMHO.

Breako
espressomattic

Postby Bertie_Doe » Thu May 29, 2008 8:41 pm

I haven't tried any of the Kenyans, being put off by the reports of brightness and acidity. The only Mexican I've tried is the Maragogype, which Steve was selling in 05/06. A bit bright solo, but worked ok with Yemen Mokha Matrar. It didn't work with Skyberry, but I think the Skyberry is a 'stand alone' coffee.

A really great blender is Dominican Republic Barahona. I believe most of the harvest is bought by the Japanese, with some going 'Down Under'. Is there any for sale in your neck of the woods Matt?

BD
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby espressomattic » Fri May 30, 2008 12:07 am

Never seen any Dominican at all, which is a shame as the barahona was really nice. Did I send you some once upon a time??? One of my Fav's now is Indian Tiger Mountain Arabica. Very similar to Barahona but with a little more nuttiness in the cup.

I really like Kenyans in a blend (Yes I am a heretic!!) as they give a nice bright cup with a hint of acidity. I would give it a go, nothing to be scared of :P
espressomattic

Re: RE: Yirg, Fazenda and Monsooned

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri May 30, 2008 1:56 pm

espressomattic wrote:Never seen any Dominican at all, which is a shame as the barahona was really nice. Did I send you some once upon a time???

Agh thanks for jogging the old memory. When I was debating which roaster to buy, you and George were kind enough to send me a sample you both roasted - but I couldn't remember who had sent the the Dominican or who had sent the Brazilian.

The samples didn't help with the machine choice as they both tasted damn good. I suspect you both roasted about 10Kg each and 'cherry-picked' about 250 to send me - they looked suspiciously uniform in roast :twisted:

Bertie
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

RE: Re: RE: Yirg, Fazenda and Monsooned

Postby espressomattic » Sat May 31, 2008 3:23 am

Bugger! You found me out! ;)
espressomattic

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping