Esmeralda Special 2008

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Sun May 25, 2008 10:05 am

Ah those Jasmine tones... :)

I recall from the couple I tried last year, there was a very floral and fruity thing going on, very light bodied and hardly any acidity, but nothing ultra distinctive. I guess I want to know why Esme tastes so unique. Or are these qualities standard for Panama?

Just found the ones I previously tried. Cupping notes were Floral, Bright, Fruity, Citrus but not acidic:

****Casa Ruiz Great Mountain Coffee & Hacienda Palo Verde Finca Harman Lot#2.****
Last edited by espressomattic on Sun May 25, 2008 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
espressomattic

Postby kingseven » Sun May 25, 2008 10:23 am

What was really crazy was eating a Geisha cherry from the Peterson's plant stock grown in Costa Rica and even the cherry tasted extra jasminey!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby CakeBoy » Sun May 25, 2008 5:07 pm

Crazy coffee for sure, lovely too :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Sun May 25, 2008 6:06 pm

Gouezeri wrote:Definitely Walter. For us it was full of jasmine tones.
Steve could you explain what you are referring to by "the differences in the lots"? Are you comparing this years with last or different coffees within the same cuppings?

The auction was made up with different lots from different parts of the farm all this years crop. the Earl grey/ floral Jasmine quality wasn't all the way through the lots, and one lot was way different from the rest (I'd have to take a look at my notes).
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Sun May 25, 2008 7:30 pm

Yeah, got that it was the same farm, was more interested in perceived differences of "terroir" in the cup.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Steve » Mon May 26, 2008 10:52 am

thats right much more to do with the terroir. I must admit I kind oif get fed up with the same varital cupping, this years El Salvador COE was kind of like that with lots of pacamara (watch out for this over the next few years for el salvador lots of pacamaras).

I also think that next year were going to be getting overloaded with the whole geisha thing everywhere seems to have some coming on line soon. I worry that as each bandwagon passes we will some of the great individual characteristics that we see from countries planting new varietal stock to keep up with the latest thing or to find it.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby tap » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:51 pm

apple cider my friend's family makes in bretagne. slightly sparkling with almost fruitbits floatingaround.
anybody else had applecider?
lately mostly drinking coffee or tea
tap

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping