Esmeralda Special 2008

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby lukas » Fri May 23, 2008 10:23 am

To get on topic again, congratulations for our Walter for winning a small lot in that auction!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby kingseven » Fri May 23, 2008 10:35 am

The marketing of the individual lots is something I am particularly looking forward to. How those who paid crazy money will communicate to the customer that what makes it different may only be subtle terroir differences, picking date or process. If that is even the case (people buying the same batch but at different prices).

Anyone know who if anyone in particular is organising the moving of this stuff, especially to Europe?
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby espressomattic » Fri May 23, 2008 10:43 am

Yaking a different view here...

Is Esme really worth that much? Personally I do not think so and it only reflects something of a craze. Yes Esme is an outstanf=ding coffe (Thanks Steve), but realistically come on...

I think it has been said before, and I agree, how long beofre this great coffee just becomes a 'Mystique' like JMB, which is not that great anyway? Is the hype actually bigger than the coffee?

I cannot and fail to see any reasonable reason why it should fetch such a high price. Of course it reflects the hard work of the farmer and good on him. He is creaming the rewards of his hard work, but does the coffee (Not the farmer) really deserve such a flagrantly inflated price?

Don't shoot me down, I have tried Esme and it is amazing, thankfully I won't ever get to try it again though as it would spoil it for me. Just a different, non 'Lets bow down to Esme' Point of view here.

Can Esme sustain itself?
espressomattic

Postby Walter » Fri May 23, 2008 12:05 pm

kingseven wrote:Anyone know who if anyone in particular is organising the moving of this stuff, especially to Europe?

I've been told that Menno Simmons from Trabocca probably will be doing the import to the EU...
fa' zoccu hai di fari e li fatti d'àutru nun guardari....

This week I are mostly playing with my new water kettle... :)
Walter

Postby Gouezeri » Fri May 23, 2008 12:46 pm

It is an exceptional coffee though Matt, you've got to agree. Beyond that, whether it is worth what people are prepared to pay, is a whole different matter. As Jim says, a lot of it is going to be down to marketting
I'd be interested to see how this cups compared to what we had. Did you get to try any Steve?
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby kingseven » Fri May 23, 2008 12:57 pm

Ah yes - that makes sense.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby leecb » Fri May 23, 2008 5:50 pm

This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby Steve » Fri May 23, 2008 7:18 pm

I've also heard wakefields were open to moving lots too to Europe.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Fri May 23, 2008 7:21 pm

Ohh yes I also cupped the Esmerelda samples, they were very interesting and quite different considering, interesting stuff.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby espressomattic » Fri May 23, 2008 7:53 pm

I guess Dom, it boils down to the fact that people are willing to pay what they PERCEIVE it to be worth, regardless of its actual worth. And yes, it was exceptional beyond anything I have ever tried.

I also agree with Leighs comment.... ;)
espressomattic

Postby Steve » Fri May 23, 2008 8:14 pm

I'm not privy to any inside information but its my opinion these kind of small lots are less to do with covering costs and much more to do with a PR budget. Esmerelda is a brand within the specialty sector and people are riding. Are these lots for the good of the Panama industry. I'm not so sure, there will be some ripple effect but I dont see anyone else getting this kind of money in Panama this year. I certainly heard last year buyers of the $130 coffee didn't make so much money.

If the best wine or finest cigars are worth many thousands of pounds are these coffees worth just over $100 then is that fair? Esmerelda for a few years has been perceived by many as one of the most distinctive coffees produced. I think I've tasted better coffee this year, but then taste is so subjective. Its a show pony coffee, a show off coffee thats interesting but I certainly couldn't and wouldn't want to drink it every day. But it does have its place in the specialty community.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Jasonscheltus » Fri May 23, 2008 9:01 pm

Isn't it's actual worth exactly what the buying people perceive it to be? (I.e. shouldn't an auction reveal it's actual worth?)

Just a thought....
Jasonscheltus

Postby espressomattic » Fri May 23, 2008 9:06 pm

I doubt it would show it's actual worth. It's actual worth I would say is the production cost. The end price is purley subjective as is taste IMHO. I would suggest that the end price is so high because people serceive they should be paying that amount for it. So maybe I have just argued against my own point Jason!!! :)
espressomattic

Postby Jasonscheltus » Fri May 23, 2008 9:24 pm

I doubt Stumptown dropped $110,000 on this because they thought they should.... I imagine they would have taken it for a lot less if they could!! The worth came from the desirability....I think you're asking where the desirability came from..

I think it's a great thing for the coffee industry, at the least it makes people consider paying that much for coffee, and hopefully one day everyone will.

And yeah Steve, could you imagine trying to roast a coffee like that to cover your costs??? Eeek, I don't want to think about it!
Jasonscheltus

Postby Walter » Fri May 23, 2008 11:06 pm

I've never had a chance to cup an Esmeralda Geisha before, so when I got the samples it was an entirely new experience for me. I've never had a coffee before that tasted similar...
fa' zoccu hai di fari e li fatti d'àutru nun guardari....

This week I are mostly playing with my new water kettle... :)
Walter

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping