Esmeralda Special 2008

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Esmeralda Special 2008

Postby Jasonscheltus » Thu May 22, 2008 7:21 pm

So there's an internet coffee auctionhappening right now!

It was pretty exciting when I started following it (it started about 4 and a half hours ago), because I was under the impression the auction would last for just two hours - not potentially ALL NIGHT.

Anyway, last year this coffee fetched a price of *cough $99.99 per pound, a long long way from the recent COE auctions lots coming in at up to $15 per pound.

The format is interesting as well - the lots seems quite small at about 150kg per "item" or specific batch number.... From the website:

"There are 10 distinct batches. Every lot within a given batch is EXACTLY the same. The chart below shows alternating rows shaded to visually group the lots within each batch. For example batch ES5 contains lots ES5-01 through ES5-16 theoretically allowing up to 16 different bidders to acquire coffee from Batch 5."

So multiple bidders will share equal amounts of exactly the same batch.

So far the highest bid is for Batch Number Two, by bidder 583 - at $64.25 per pound!!
Jasonscheltus

RE: Esmeralda Special 2008

Postby kingseven » Thu May 22, 2008 7:56 pm

Actually it went to $130/lb after breaking the auction website code when someone bid over $99.99

I prefered the coffee the year before and I haven't cupped any of this. These auctions can last FOREVER! (I feel sorry for the Japanese bidders - of which there are probably a few after Wataru bought just about all the BoP this week!)
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Jasonscheltus » Thu May 22, 2008 8:13 pm

huh. That's an awful lot of money.. I just read this thread about it.

How do you go about roasting something worth that much, or even sample roasting it, without shaking so much??[/url]
Jasonscheltus

Postby kingseven » Thu May 22, 2008 8:19 pm

Heat up the drum, drop in the coffee, pick a god and pray....

You'd need an idiot savant's skill for profiling.

kingseven

Postby Jasonscheltus » Thu May 22, 2008 8:23 pm

yeah, but you'd have to use something like the Neoroast Matic - the fluid bed thing the Espresso Warehouse guys were rocking out... I mean, with a three minute roast time you hardly have a chance to make a mess of it.

Just bang it in.
Jasonscheltus

Postby kingseven » Thu May 22, 2008 8:29 pm

That was scarily quick wasn't it!? I remember seeing them put the coffee in, I asked two questions to someone behind the bar, looked back and it was in first. WTF?! Did you taste any of it?

kingseven

Postby Jasonscheltus » Thu May 22, 2008 8:37 pm

It was very quick, but very cool to actually see the beans cook.

I didn't taste any, unfortunately. She roasted a (very colourful) Sidamo for me, but there was quite a crowd around the Clover at that point and she didn't want to impose any more on the Mathew Algie guys who kindly let her share their stand.

I'm struggling to understand how it could develop well. When we hit a short roast, or a roast which is too quick around the end of first crack, we get sour and flat. And too quick for us is near 15 minutes!

I heard they use those roasters in the Organic Wholefoods shops, but I'm not sure if that's just in the States, or here as well. I will go see, when I go see Gus at Andronicas.
Jasonscheltus

Postby kingseven » Thu May 22, 2008 8:54 pm

Fluid bed is just a whole different ball game, much like centrifugal or tangential roasters. I saw the roaster in Whole Foods in Kensington and (in the past foolishly having bought the bagged up stuff on the shelves that is so stale) I bought some of their Guat. It wasn't awful but then it is tricky to judge the coffee roast when I know nothing about the green.

I know people that have some success with Sivetz roasters, but beyond that my knowledge of fluid bed kind of sucks.

kingseven

Postby Jasonscheltus » Thu May 22, 2008 9:07 pm

I was a little impressed by the thing - without tasting the results!! The touch screen allowed 10 set points during the roast for either the bean pile temp or the air temp, creating a simplified roasting to profile. I imagine if you played around with it enough, (read- made use of the electronic controlled hot air flow via a PID) you could get some good results.

Congratulations on the cup tasting comp, two and a half minutes is impressive for 24 cups, good luck against Stephen! (But you didn't enter the Latte Art comp, I think you might have had a pretty good chance at winning!)
Jasonscheltus

Postby kingseven » Thu May 22, 2008 9:11 pm

I was supposed to be in the latte art but (surprisingly) I had a seminar conflict so couldn't. I don't really want to compete in latte art any more - I do kind of suck at it.

kingseven

Postby lukas » Thu May 22, 2008 9:19 pm

Wait wait wait what's this - you mean Jim is not only champ of champs but now also british cuptasting champion? Congratulations :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Jasonscheltus » Thu May 22, 2008 9:20 pm

well I was half expecting to see Styles show up with nothing but a medsy, but no...Do you know the results of the competition? I saw Stuart Archer and a couple of the guys from Gloria Jeans (shout out to Australia..yeah) but that was it.
Jasonscheltus

Postby Gwilym » Thu May 22, 2008 9:21 pm

i think styles has retired?
Gwilym

Postby Jasonscheltus » Thu May 22, 2008 9:27 pm

it seems like it!

I guess baristas get paid a little more than I thought they did, retire at 26 (?? how old?).

I heard he got offered an executive job at Caffe Nero and was never seen again.... I mean, that's what I heard anyway....
Jasonscheltus

Postby Aadje » Fri May 23, 2008 6:38 am

James wrote:I do kind of suck at it.

:shock: :shock:

Sorry James, but I just don't believe you here.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping