Costa Rica COE 2008

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Costa Rica COE 2008

Postby Jasonscheltus » Thu May 15, 2008 10:06 pm

So the auction results are in for the Costa Rican Cup of Excellence..

Click here

Congrats to Square Mile, and to the rest of the UK it seems - a really great UK showing there on the page... Fortnum and Mason, Has Bean, Two Day Coffee, Andronicas at Harrods, all getting some very highly scored coffee.

Does it seem to anyone else that the Americans are missing from that list? The only American buyer I could see is Sweet Maria's, it seemed like last year there were many more.

Mod's Edit: URL(s) edited/embedded to fit page and prevent stretching.
Jasonscheltus

RE: Costa Rica COE 2008

Postby Gwilym » Thu May 15, 2008 10:12 pm

Jason
i hear the Sin Limites is really good.
please look after it
Gwilym

Postby Jasonscheltus » Thu May 15, 2008 10:15 pm

oh yeah? I tasted the Ojo de Agua yesterday and that was pretty tasty, but I haven't tastes the lot #2 yet, should be good as well. New coffee is exciting...
Jasonscheltus

Postby kingseven » Thu May 15, 2008 10:32 pm

Costa Rica, as a CoE auction, still seems to finding its feet compared to the others. Perhaps because of the Costa Rican production styles of the past, or perhaps people are just saving up to drop a load on Guatemala or El Salvador (as often tends to happen).

New coffee is very exciting!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Steve » Fri May 16, 2008 10:27 am

I think Costa Rica has suffered for a number of reasons, although the average price was $5.05 which can not be sniffed at with the market sitting at the $1.35 mark.

The US buyers were very quite this auction maybe economic downturn, maybe the strong relationships many roasters in the US have with La Minita maybe everyone saving there pennies like Jim says.

I also think another problem is quality discovery is well under way in Costa Rica, many roasters have some great long term relationships there already, which is one of the reasons I think people use the cup of excellence auctions.

I'm very pleased with the lot we won, very excited to be sharing with some great company too.

The top ten was a little disappointing for me, with number 2 being far the best coffee in that group.

I love auction season.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Mon May 19, 2008 11:50 am

There seem to have been some cracking coffees from Costa Rica this past year, many of them are amongst my favourites for the year.

Congrats on the auction win Steve :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping