The Coffee Collective Espresso

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

The Coffee Collective Espresso

Postby lukas » Fri May 02, 2008 9:46 am

Hi all, I really don't want to sound like a fanboy here, and the tcc has enough good press already, but a mate on another forum brought with him during his last trip to Copenhagen a bag if the Coffee Collective's espresso blend and I haven't seen it anywhere on here before, so here it goes :)

I don't really know what to say on this coffee. It's fresh. It's 50% Daterra Sweet, 25% Finca Vista Hermosa, 25% Adado Yirgacheffe (the rest on the bag is in danish :)), has a roast date on it and a best before (6 weeks after roast date) and most importanty:

it tastes exactly I had imagined. Weird. I really can't believe it, but it's sweet, it has very satisfying fresh fruit taste to it, is very smooth despite the great acidity to it and lingers on the tongue for hours (well not really, but long :)). The mouthfeel is just great, and depending on how it's pulled the emphasis is on the fruityness or on the balance or on the thick body side. It's also very easy to pull on my picky Cimbali, I haven't yet thrown away any of it (luckily the grind didn't need much fiddling). It's very close to my ideal espresso, probably only hindered by myself and my machine.

Very happy me. 150g still to go. It's just too expensive, but hey, it's worth it :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

RE: The Coffee Collective Espresso

Postby CakeBoy » Fri May 02, 2008 7:39 pm

Fanboy ;) :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: The Coffee Collective Espresso

Postby Gwilym » Fri May 02, 2008 7:53 pm

do you know what temp and dose you used. i have a small bit and do not want to spend all my stash figuring this out.
going to work early on sunday to try it.
Gwilym

Re: RE: The Coffee Collective Espresso

Postby lukas » Fri May 02, 2008 11:19 pm

Sorry, no idea - haven't used my scale for a while (currenlty lent do a friend) and I don't have any sort of temperature measuring thing on my Cimbali :)

But my guess would be that what's good for a medium roasted Yirgacheffe or medium roasted Brazilian will be good for that blend. Try a medium temperature... or ask them directly :)

CakeBoy wrote:Fanboy ;) :D

:oops: 8)

edit: when I think about it, I also used a medium-fine grind and a medium dose - not really filling the basket, but not really underdosing either. Ah, one thing wasn't medium: the tamp was really light :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

RE: Re: RE: The Coffee Collective Espresso

Postby kingseven » Sat May 03, 2008 12:01 am

I spoke to Klaus earlier this week - I think they brew at 200F/93.5C and he said he had been enjoying it at a slightly lower dose than their usual 18g, more like 16g I think.

It is indeed very yummy!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

RE: Re: RE: The Coffee Collective Espresso

Postby Gwilym » Sun May 04, 2008 4:18 pm

very enjoyable
did not have as much time to play this morning as those darn customers were up early - how lovely it would be to have a set up at home (or even inside come to that)

Would not call it "Deep and Penetrating" as it says on the packet, may be its just our technique.
different to the blend i am used to from our roaster. the adado yirgacheffe was wonderful. fruity but not sharp and rich mouthfeel.
not had yirgacheffe in a espresso blend before - must try and play with more than just our roasters espresso
nice to see a 6 week best before date.

using 16-18g dose until used up last bit at end of shift in a triple basket may have been a hard slog today but that shot was the best i pulled all day

if anyone has chance to try it do not miss out
Gwilym

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping