Desert Island Coffees

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Desert Island Coffees

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:03 pm

BlueValentine mentioned 'Desert Island Coffees' in the 'How often do you get coffees you don't like?' thread and it seemed a great idea for a thread of its own.

Actually, choosing favourites could be touger than it sounds, but a lot of fun too.

So, the criteria. You are to be dropped on a deserted island and will stay alone for one year in the small guest/garden house of an absentee multi-millionaire. You are not in danger and have plenty of food supplies. However, you can take only ten green coffees (3kg of each, yielding just under half a kilo of roasted a week in the worst roasting moisture loss case scenario). This means that every coffee will need to be put to full use over the year, you will not be expecting any great quantity left over at the end. Because your host shares a love of coffee, the accommodation boasts a digital Hottop roaster, commercial espresso machine and grinder.

You may also take one other coffee production item from the following: high end drip filter, French press, vac-pot, some form of pour over gold filter system, Aerobie Aeropress, percolator, moka pot, briki or a 2kg jar/tub of instant :shock:. You will be given a second, smaller, grinder to match the item you choose, thus avoiding big adjustments on the espresso grinder. There is no clover and you can't take one! ;)

You have a cow and an instruction manual ;), so fresh milk is not an issue :P

The ten coffees do not have to be those available to you this year. They may be any that you have tried in the past or have just heard about. The only proviso is that they must still be in existence, but remember, although you can take anything, the quantity is not endless and if you chance that coffee you always wanted to try but could never afford, you risk being left short of beans at the end of the year if you end up not liking it.

So there it is ladies and gents. Ten coffees and a non-espresso prodiction method of your choosing :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: Desert Island Coffees

Postby Neo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:54 pm

Panama Carmen -- drip
Australia Mountain Top -drip
Mocca Harrar - espresso
'Yueto' Selecto - drip
La Minita - drip
Sulawasi - drip
' Isamalli ' - drip/espresso
Yirg - drip
Brazil Formosa - drip/espresso
Mocca Mattari - espresso

well.. i'd say flannel drip. greater body, i'm still practising to use it properly though. recently I cant get the flavours out of the grounds....
Anfim supercaimano
Gaggia Baby
Cloth filter
Syphon
Lovely coffee from a great roaster
Neo

Postby Bombcup » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:46 pm

Harrar - Vac / Espresso
Yellow Bourbon - Espresso
HB Toba Sulawesi Blend - Espresso
Union Bright Note Blend - Espresso
Gethumbwini - Vac
El Injerto - Vac / Espresso
Rwandan cup of gold - Vac
El Salv Finca La Fany Bourbon - Vac
Yirgacheffe - Vac
Monsooned Malabar - Compost.

Kill cow, eat steak.
Bombcup

Postby lastcoyote » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:00 pm

...kill host = more coffee for me :D

keep and PID cow. direct link up to espresso machine :P
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Cona Vac Pot - Table Model "B"
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby lastcoyote » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:17 pm

colombian paramito bertha
yemen mokha mattari
yirg
harrar
monsooned malabar
el salv finca la fany
colombian mirador-jesus lizcano
cach
gethumbwini
guat san fran

cona vac pot
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Cona Vac Pot - Table Model "B"
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby espressomattic » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:51 am

Malabar
Santa Terrzina
Canario
Alaska
Sulawesi
Indian TIger Mountain
Screen Dried Cacheria
Manuela
Harrar
El Injerto

I too would kill the cow.

I would take nothing else, no other kit. That way I can stash more Sulawesi :P
espressomattic

Postby Beanie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:12 am

actually Cakey, he called it Desert 'Ireland' Coffee :lol: BTW, where's YOUR listing? :P

I'll have to think about the 10 coffees, but definitely Harrar, El Salvador La Fany, Brazilian COE Sitio BOA Sorte (erhmmm dunno if it's still in existence tho :oops:), Sulawesi Sulotco Bolokan Estate, S/D Cachoeira. Erhmm am I allowed to double up on any of the SO's if I don't pick 10 different ones?

I'll take a Balance/Siphon/VacPot Brewer please & thank you :D
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby bruceb » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:18 am

Yirgacheffe
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby ivdp » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:07 am

Only 10? What about the rest of the week?
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Neo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:17 am

ivdp wrote:Only 10? What about the rest of the week?

lol
Anfim supercaimano
Gaggia Baby
Cloth filter
Syphon
Neo

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:58 pm

:lol: Ivo ;) :P

Nope Beany, the maximum amount of any given green available is 3kg .... otherwise we'd risk you having half a sack of Harrar and a daft grin you minx ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bluevalentine » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:54 am

I suppose as I unwittingly 'inspired' this thread I ought to contribute
Here goes
1. Finca la Fany - my staple coffee
2. Cuba Turquino Lavardo
3. Bolivia Machacamarca
4. Ethiopian Harrar
5. Indian Yelnoorkan Estate
6. Costa Rica Tarrazu
7. Java Blawan (these 2 for blending)
8. Bolivia Flor de Mayo
9. Kona Smith's Farm Fancy
10. Brazil Sito das Jaboticabas
Not tasted either of the last two yet but I'd be in need of some new experience with all that time on my hands.
I'd opt for a French press.
Desert Island Discs also permits two books (not counting The Bible and The Complete Works of Shakespeare) - can I have The Silver Spoon (classic Italian cookbook) and The Complete Works of Bob Dylan.
Luxury item? A guitar. A couple of local wenches to sing harmonies would be nice...
Reneka Techno V2M / Anfim doserless grinder / HotTop KN8828P / Reg & Espro / 3 French presses + Bialetti + Turkish ibrik + filter + Aeropress
In extremis I munch the beans

Coffee falls into the stomach ... ideas begin to move... shafts of wit start up like sharp-shooters, similies arise, the paper is covered with ink ...
Honore de Balzac
bluevalentine

Postby Neo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:08 pm

You reminded me of something ,bluevalentine.
Cakeboy, can I get a water softener, activated carbon filter and full service for the espresso machine? :D
A bit really important here, and luxurious, a hasbean establishment nearby maybe?
Anfim supercaimano
Gaggia Baby
Cloth filter
Syphon
Neo

Postby bluevalentine » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:40 am

Neo wrote:You reminded me of something ,bluevalentine.
Cakeboy, can I get a water softener, activated carbon filter and full service for the espresso machine? :D
A bit really important here, and luxurious, a hasbean establishment nearby maybe?

Sorry, no Hasbean establishment. That would allow some cheating bastards to negate Cakey's 10 x 3kg stipulation.
But I can't imagine a millionaire without a water softener/carbon filter so you'll be alright on that score. Probably have a desalinator too, if his pad is on a desert island.
Reneka Techno V2M / Anfim doserless grinder / HotTop KN8828P / Reg & Espro / 3 French presses + Bialetti + Turkish ibrik + filter + Aeropress
In extremis I munch the beans

Coffee falls into the stomach ... ideas begin to move... shafts of wit start up like sharp-shooters, similies arise, the paper is covered with ink ...
Honore de Balzac
bluevalentine

Postby Steve » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:36 am

I want to play :( But will end up all looking commercial.
Steve
Founder Member

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping