Restretto Macchiato

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Restretto Macchiato

Postby bruceb » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:29 pm

I roasted a kilo of beans last week, 70% Columbia Huila and 30% Mexican Altura Pearl. I don't know any more about these beans, got 10 kg of each of them from my bean lady at a very reasonable price a few months ago.

The Columbia is quite good as a base for espresso blends. The Mexican Pearl is somewhat difficult and I have been using it to bring acidity into blends for the French press, so thought I would give it a try as an espresso.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the sourness out of it, but with the Columbia together it's drinkable in milk drinks. As an espresso it's rough and ready, but as a restretto it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Therefore, I made up a new drink as I was hankering for a "shorty." I made a restretto shot of 25ml with 10g of coffee and just a dabble of milk foam on top. It turned out very palatable and will now take a place on my regular menu of coffee drinks. The milk foam just neutralises the acidity enough to remove the sourness.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Restretto Macchiato

Postby Aadje » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:56 pm

Got a picture? Did you manage to latte art it? ;)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby bruceb » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:50 pm

No picture, no artwork. I am working 'round the clock to get the hardwood flooring put down on the stairway landings so the carpenter can finish the rest of his work on this coming Monday. I wanted a "shorty" because I don't have time to drink a full espresso. :wink: :lol:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:21 am

:lol: You'll be having condensed ristretti next ;) :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping