Brazil Cachoeira Canario

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby lastcoyote » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:06 pm

:lol:
i know..what the heck does that mean?
and also he said that it was a balance between green bean flavours and bitter unpleasantness..
..he's experienced in drinking coffee made from ground green beans then is he?!..a 'little' odd :shock:
...it's a classic review....could talk about it for ages..
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Cona Vac Pot - Table Model "B"
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby lukas » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:47 am

There are people that see the difference between 'I don't like' and 'it's crap', and there are people that don't. The majority is on one of the sides I believe.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby simonp » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:22 am

lastcoyote wrote:
simonp wrote:Hmm, if they like dark and oily Monsooned Malabar (which from my experience does not take a dark oily roast at all well) then I'm not surprised they didn't like the Canario as they don't like coffee, but musty tasting ash :lol:

ok now that is a coffee that you either love or hate...
..i happen to really like it as a nice dirty french press to get me going.

I have liked it in a few blends, but (in my experience and opinion) a dark oily roast will make it taste terrible :evil:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby Beanie » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:23 pm

I miss Cach sooo much... Canario, regular, screen-dried *sigh*
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:47 pm

That review is so funny. I expect he is now complaining that his microwaved 28 day matured beef is tough ;)

Sometimes ignorance and madness can be hard to tell apart.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby lastcoyote » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:57 pm

he probably also can't see what all the fuss is about when he puts islay single malt quarter cask laphroaig in coke and ice :) ...got no time for people like that.
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby espressomattic » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:07 pm

Look, I am going to play devils advocte here.

I happen to love canario, but why are you mocking this chap? Reviewing is subjective according to the individual and I don't think you are all being very fair to him. OK so he classes a Moka as an espresso maker, so what?

He likes dark roasted MM, so what?

What gives you the right to ridicule him for expressing what he found. Opinions and critisisms are just that, you either take them or leave them. Of course submitting them does open you up to critisism yourself.

However consider this:

What if this person decided to read TMC wanting learn about coffee and saw this thread? I think he would think that this place is full of Pr*cks. I sure would. It wouldn't help him or encourage him learn about coffee at all.

Just have a think about that before bashing someone in public. To quote "I haven't got time for people like that..."

Feel free to shoot me down in flames, I have broad shoulders and can take it.
espressomattic

Postby lastcoyote » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:18 pm

sorry to offend. i shouldn't have said 'i haven't got time for people like that'. i did say it in a rather jokey way though. not maliciously.
however i do feel justified in voicing my displeasure at people who write a scathing review to try and do damage to a persons business....when they clearly aren't in the position to do so. ok so his experience with this coffee wasn't good for him. that's because he's got no idea how to get the best from it. so in that case he should of just put it down to his lack of knowledge and looked in to it further.
i don't want to make it sound like we are mocking him. more just being amazed at what he wrote. just expressing my reaction to his comments.

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby espressomattic » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:27 pm

:)

It just seems like it is a bit of a free for all on him. I completly agree with your above points. You have a right to voice an opinion just as much as what he does. Trouble is his comments are an easy target and it can quickly turn sour you know. Gotta remember a whole lotta people read this forum aside from us saddos!

Aside from that, Steve reads all the reviews that are posted, so he has allowed it to remain. If he thought it way out of line he would have gotten ride of it eh?
espressomattic

Postby lastcoyote » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:35 pm

you're right....it shows the honesty and allround good naturedness of our Mr Hasbean. bless him.
i know what you mean though...someone says something about it, then someone else, then someone else... it ends up being a bit unfair and bigger than it was intended to be. thing is us lot are so passionate about our coffee that we just can't help ourselves.. :)

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:42 pm

Actually, credit where credit is due, I don't think Steve censors the reviews at all, other than to make sure they aren't rude/spam etc. There are some terrible reviews on his site, which I often point out to him, but he's far too nice and just takes it in his stride.

This guy has made himself a target by posting an opinion from a supposed position of authority on a public site. He is not simply stating a matter of opinion or personal taste. Instead his arguments are so flawed as to make them derisory, thus this thread. Now I'm all for criticism, but it has to be balanced and well constructed, otherwise all you are doing is showing your own ignorance.

What is the likelihood that he raised any of these issues with Steve? I personally have had what might be considered a bad experience with a roaster recently, and it would be oh so easy for me to post my comments here for all to read, but rather than do that I've contacted them directly (twice, though I've not heard anything back). I will also think twice before sharing any of these experiences publicly.

That antipodean water is turning you into somebody far too tolerant mate :P
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby espressomattic » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:51 pm

Sad aren't we!!! ;)

I guess we have to be careful that the passion doesn't turn into fanatacism and we bemoan anbody who isn't 'In the know'. It is easily done eh?

Man I should be a paid moderator :P
espressomattic

Postby Beanie » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:57 pm

I actually read that review before this thread. I figured those who already know Steve's coffees would find it disbelievable anyway.

Matt, in my view, whatever gives the reviewer the right to express his written opinion is the same right that affords TMCers in this thread to express their written opinion of his review. Clearly, this is because every single one of them has had a different experience to that of the reviewer.

Who knows why the reviewer had that experience. It may have been his genuine experience for a myriad of reasons for which none of us can even conceive. Also, it may not have been. Whatever it is, here we are today.

I suspect Steve left that review, well, because it's supposed to be a review of his customers' experience. It's not a strictly "commendations only" list. More importantly, I think it's because Steve: a) knows his coffee is fantastic; b) is confident a huge majority of his customers do as well; and, c) due to his integrity, wouldn't even conceive of removing scathing reviews... even if it were out of line. I'd even bet that Steve has contacted the reviewer for more info and to send back that 'bad batch' and replace it.

As for the reviewer reading this on TMC, well, not so different from HB's (potential) and existing (incl TMC) customers reading his review. Surely said reviewer would understand that and perhaps even realise that his experience is such an extreme exception.

Without having also tasted from the same bag as the reviewer, we don't really know whether or not he knew what he was doing, let alone whether it was 'according' to coffee-making guidelines or not. A lot of people refer to mokka pots as espresso makers... it still doesn't mean they can't discern a pleasant taste from a bad one... which may be totally different from our own perception of good/bad tastes.

The reviewer did say "We are used to drinking dark roasted Monsoon Malabar (not from you) with oils in abundance so maybe it is our palates which betray us and your coffee but I do not think so." Clearly, he did consider that 'maybe it was him/them' - at least for a moment ;) Clearly, TMCers in this thread objected to the 'full-stop' not being six words earlier ;)

*edit* crap... cross-posted with breako & gauzeman :roll: Too bloody wordy to be quick enough :P
Last edited by Beanie on Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby lastcoyote » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:57 pm

oh i wouldn't have a moan about just anybody. just the special cases. ;)

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:05 pm

I think he is being ridiculed because he has failed to consider the reason why his coffee tastes bad and for being small minded enough to assume it was nothing he did. Everything tastes like Aldi coffee if it's boiled long enough. He clearly has no concept that preparation will have a bearing on the result and made no effort to learn or consult the vendor.

Steve doesn't really need to censor reviews. Things stand or fall on their own merits.

Ohhhh Mitty, I love it when you get all dominant :P
Last edited by CakeBoy on Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping