Brazil Cachoeira Canario

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Chrisweaver » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:23 pm

please PM me then, I'd rather not have a problem with anyone on this site, I love the coffee community, and don't want to fall out with anyone!
Chrisweaver

Postby lastcoyote » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:25 pm

ummmm...it seems i've created a monster :shock:
..oops.
i only started this thread to let others find a bit of little light relief and humour in what was said in the review. never thought it would cause so much discussion and contempt.
i do think the discussion is a valid one though, and is really about a 'type' of attitude held by ones who speak out against something in a definitive fashion that they really aren't in a position to, due to a clear lack of knowledge and experience. wasn't supposed to be particularly personal towards this one guy.
maybe i should of just had a quiet giggle to myself. though this forum is all about sharing stuff isn't it. just guess we need to draw a line somewhere :roll:
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Cona Vac Pot - Table Model "B"
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby espressomattic » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:55 pm

Chris

I am not falling out with anyone at all...I promise. If anything my feelins are not directed at you or anybody. I really do not have a problem with you at all. We are all different and feel strongly about different things, which is what this thread has turned into. It is a valid discussion, it really is.

I honestly have nothing to add, I have vented my spleen for now ;)
espressomattic

Postby Bombcup » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:31 am

Crikey I'm exhausted, just finished reading all 7 pages of the thread QC linked to, including the sub links within that. All before my time and obviously before I publicly made a d1ck of myself on here.

With an improved perspective it is easier to see that most of these contentious issues are actually good fun and thrashing out challenging opinions is what drives this whole coffee thing forwards. Personally I think Reuben's comments were lacking merit, but reading other people's comments reminds me that one should not jump down somebody's throat for not having an advanced level of knowledge.

To qualify the 'Advanced level of knowledge' bit, I in no way shape or form believe I am any sort of expert just a keen amateur. However, I believe that members of this forum constitute a tiny tiny minority of coffee drinkers which spend vast amounts of time, money and research on the subject. Speciality coffee will never go mainstream if people have to go to the sort of lengths we hobbyists and pros do to be able to appreciate it. We need to fling the doors wide open and do our best to gently educate people, destroy the mystique and snobbishness and get people using great beans, ground in a cheap hand or burr grinder and brewed in a presspot or filter.

Then one day we will take over the world... :twisted:
Bombcup

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:50 am

That's what makes TMC special, we can actually have a discussion like this, everybody is respectful and humble (well, seeing as Cakey is away :wink:). Thanks guys for your tolerance and respect for both the site and one another!

I do agree with PimpDaddy's last comments though... for the outside reader we do seem a little gear-centric and obsessive at times :D I do try hard to recommend just decent beans and a good grinder coupled with either a FP or AP as much as possible, but I think often people are attracted to the mystique of espresso, and lets face it, most cafe's use the machines for that more than anything else!
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Bombcup » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:18 am

I think often people are attracted to the mystique of espresso, and lets face it, most cafe's use the machines for that more than anything else!

Too true, if cafes sold FP or pourover there would be far less margin for error (IMO) compared to espresso and I think the general quality of coffee served would improve no end, especially given that the number of cafes serving good espresso in this country can probably be counted on my fingers and toes. Most people don't like espresso. Most people have never had a good espresso. Not their fault, it's just not available unless you're 'in the know'. I think cafes should go back to basics even if it means they can't impress customers with their gleaming three group ornament.

Anyways, that coffee this thread was about... what was it? Oh yes, Cach Canario. Received a bag of it from Steve today. Effing horrible! Only joking! Thought it was a bit bright but they arrive so fresh it's difficult not to finish them before they reach their peak. How long post roast does anybody reckon it's best to leave them?
Bombcup

Postby espressomattic » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:39 am

Post like these make me :D
espressomattic

Postby Chrisweaver » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:00 am

ha haaa and me, glad we can talk these things to death and still not hate eachother :)

I have some green yirgacheffe, and I had a presspot same day as roast, way too bright, the next day was better, however on the third day it was lovely and balanced, and like someone hit me in the face with a grapefruit.

At work, I find our blend it best about 3 days from roasting also!!

And btw espressomatic, I like your spleen and you may vent it in my direction whenever you feel... lets face it, if it comes to blows, we're a long way apart ;)

Chris!
Chrisweaver

Postby lastcoyote » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:33 pm

happy days :D
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Cona Vac Pot - Table Model "B"
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:01 pm

At last, a passionate bean related thread and the word 'crap' is used lots too. I love TMC :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:47 pm

Chrisweaver wrote:And btw espressomatic, I like your spleen and you may vent it in my direction whenever you feel... lets face it, if it comes to blows, we're a long way apart ;)

Chris!

You never heard of the Long Arm of the Law?? :P
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:44 pm

'Ello, 'ello, 'ello! :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby JonS » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:29 am

Wonderchunder wrote:Anyways, that coffee this thread was about... what was it? Oh yes, Cach Canario. Received a bag of it from Steve today. Effing horrible! Only joking! Thought it was a bit bright but they arrive so fresh it's difficult not to finish them before they reach their peak. How long post roast does anybody reckon it's best to leave them?

Apologies for reviving a 2 week-old thread (and such a heated one at that!), but I realised nobody had answered this question.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been home-roasting batches of this in the hottop, generally, just into the first snaps of second. Until about the 4th day, I find it very bright, and in fact have been seeking to tame it a bit in the roast.

Pulled probably my best shot ever yesterday at about 5.5 days. Really spot on. Sweet and lovely if you get the temperature just right. An earlier pull about a degree or so cooler was a tiny bit sour.

I figure I'm overly sensitive to acidity, if I try and pull it in the first couple of days, it's like sucking a lemon :shock: I have a similar experience with Finca La Fany, another coffee which I love once it's settled down (for my palatte)

Jon
Iberital L'Adri 1grp semi-auto | Macap MXKR Auto | Mazzer Super Jolly | Hottop Programmable
Isomac Zaffiro w/PID | Isomac Gran Macinino | Mazzer Mini
Scace Thermofilter
Custom-built grinder timer
JonS

Postby Bombcup » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:06 pm

I'm glad you mention Fica La Fany ( :lol: ) bourbon, I found exactly the same thing. First few batches I roasted I thought where's alll this caramel and chocolate, tastes like grapefruit juice to me. Then after a mammoth roasting session I had enough coffee to let it rest for nearly a week and there it was, sweet syrupy and delicious. Same with the Canario, I've now got my routine sorted so I'm roasting about five days in advance and giving the coffee a chance to reach it's peak.

I also find, as you do, that some of these coffees like quite a high temperature to smooth out the acidity.
Bombcup

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping