How often do you get coffees you don't like?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:28 am

Bean_Believer wrote:Hmmm... but how do you know you don't like it if you don't try it? And how do you try it before buying it? ;)

Oh... and the beans I bought were green... occasionally, got to treat myself to roasted... but that was not as often as I would have liked :(

Well, that's what I get for trying to make a joke. Sorry. :oops:

Anyway, I only buy greens. I haven't bought any roasted coffee in many years. My point was really that I know which coffees I don't really like and I don't buy them. As an example, the Kenyans for espresso. I don't have a very discerning taste, however, and I also like almost all coffees, so that makes it pretty easy.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby fred25 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:11 am

The only time I tried a coffee that I was expecting to like and didn't was with Yemeni coffee - bought it from sweetmarias and the cup description looked gorgeous, except for two words I somehow didn't realise the significance of: aromatic wood. Turned out I really can't stand that note in coffee, and this ruined it for me. :(

Was all the more saddened as yemen as a country really appeals to me, so was sad not to like their coffee! (well maybe there are other coffees from yemen with a slightly different cup profile, and no aromatic wood...!) :)
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Postby Beanie » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:37 am

bruceb wrote:My point was really that I know which coffees I don't really like and I don't buy them. As an example, the Kenyans for espresso. I don't have a very discerning taste, however, and I also like almost all coffees, so that makes it pretty easy.

I also ordinarily wouldn't buy it if I disliked it... but things do change... so every now and then, I might :roll:

For a while now, I'd not been a big fan of Yirg... it's not bad, it's mmmeh ok, just didn't quite excite my tastebuds... until Tuesday. I had a Yirg (49th's Konga Coop) as FP at Mercury... it was wonderful :D Peppery, chocolatey, with a bit of a bite not that lemony citrus like other Yirgs I've had but some tropical fruit I've had before as a child... I wanna say mangosteen... but I'm not even sure I remember what that tastes like anymore :roll: Anyway, the changes in the cup as it cooled... I really really enjoyed that Yirg :)

It's the same with food... I used to not like olives... then started to love tapenade... and now I just love olives... plain, stuffed, black, green, whatever :D

*edit* curiosity got the better of me... so, here we go: a mangosteen. I should always go with my 1st instinct ;) After all, there was a mangosteen tree just outside my bedroom window once upon a time :roll: :oops:
Last edited by Beanie on Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby lukas » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Beany_Babe wrote:Anyway, the changes in the cup as it cooled... I really really enjoyed that Yirg :)

That's what I find most exciting in good Yirgs. It's soooo lovely :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby bruceb » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:45 pm

I have never had a Yirg that I didn't like and they remain my favourite coffee.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Beanie » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:17 pm

lukas wrote:That's what I find most exciting in good Yirgs. It's soooo lovely :)
But I've had "good" Yirgs that many other TMCers just simply adore. Just didn't quite do it for me like this one... maybe it was the mangosteen factor bringing back memories of a time when my brain knew no worries and my skin knew no wrinkles ;) :P

bruceb wrote:I have never had a Yirg that I didn't like and they remain my favourite coffee.
I'm the opposite, this is the only Yirg so far that I've thoroughly enjoyed. I'm looking forward to trying many more though :D
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Lambo » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:53 pm

Most people know what they like in terms of tastes, but sometimes you've got to try new ones (except with the exception of veg?!).
I've had Rwandans before for instance and liked them. On this occasion I went to a certain gentleman's African section, hovered over the Gethumbwini "buy now" button and thought No - I'll go for something else today.
That's how we found one of our favourite wines - went into a shop, total random selection and ended up with Charles Melton's Nine Popes - stonking wine!

Perhaps it's just the bean variety that caused the problem - red bourbon. I don't look at that side of things but perhaps I need to start doing some reading! Is there a coffee equivalent of the Wine & Spirit Education Trust's certificates for Coffee? I got my Higher Certificate - it involved sampling of course...
Best tasting I went to was a vintage port one - and I lived within walking distance. It was tough! (':D')
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby Danski » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:58 pm

Last year - just after I bought My first espresso machine, I bought a 5kg bag off a grower that was advertising on ebay...yeah, yeah, I know...it seemed like a good idea to support the grower when he was trying to make a little bit more by selling direct...anyway this huge bag of beans arrived, and they were really bitter, I could only drink them in a latte. I gave most of them away to a guy I worked with...he reckoned he knew a lot about coffee, and was happy with them, prolly cos they were free!!

Now, for this weekend, I`m really hyped, cos I have a bag of JBM to open...really looking forward to that.
Danski

Postby Aadje » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:02 pm

I'm interested if you think the JBM is worth its money.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby ivdp » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:05 pm

This is basically a philophical question:
if you onw a JBM plantation you will say YES.
If you can't afford to buy it, you say NO.
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Aadje » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:54 pm

And what if you can afford it, but think it's too expensive?
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby bruceb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:06 pm

Danski wrote:Last year - just after I bought My first espresso machine, I bought a 5kg bag off a grower that was advertising on ebay...yeah, yeah, I know...it seemed like a good idea to support the grower when he was trying to make a little bit more by selling direct...anyway this huge bag of beans arrived, and they were really bitter...

You know, this has been on my mind all day (small mind, lazy day) and I don't think I have ever had a bean that was in itself bitter. Wrong temperature pour, wrong roast profile, etc. can make it bitter. Were these beans roasted or did you roast them yourself?

Edit: Just out of curiosity, was this by any chance an African coffee?
bruceb

Postby Steve » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:44 pm

JMB worth it for the experience of saying its been done worth it every day certainly not :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:43 pm

Sorry to play devil's advocate, but what about Esme Steve?
I think I'd probably agree with your previous comment... definitely worth doing, but not worth drinking every day, it would kind of lose its mystique.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Steve » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:42 am

I hear you brother I bought no mroe after my sample. Been there done that, now give me a fine Brazil :)
Steve
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping