How often do you get coffees you don't like?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:46 am

You prefer a Brazilian? ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:49 am

Oh yes yes yes for sure.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:56 am

:P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:57 am

definitely feel privileged to have shared some of that sample with you then and in good company too! That is what coffee like that is really about for me, it is "event" coffee, and in that manner, it is definitely worth the money!
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Beanie » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:15 am

CakeBoy wrote:You prefer a Brazilian? ;)
Hmmm... something tells me Cakey's not talking about coffee :shock: :lol:
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Aadje » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:25 am

Do you even prefer a brazilian above a jamaican? :roll:
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Steve » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:08 am

Aadje wrote:Do you even prefer a brazilian above a jamaican? :roll:

1000% yes. You see Jamaican for me is good because its ok at everything. It has ok body, sweetness balance, acidity all very adequate.

But a mighty fine Brazil from an award winning farm, or a delicious Bolivian thats sweet and has peeks and troughs in the cup I find much more exciting to drink and much more fulfilling. And then knowing it cost me a fraction of the pie to get something thats many times better, well thats just perfect.

Jamaican is a lazy way to find an OK coffee, its not hard throw your money in the air and one will come. These other origins require a lot more effort and tasting, and scrutiny on the cupping table and that is fun
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:56 am

Plus Steve, if I may, the fact that many of these Brazilian/South American coffees are only just getting recognition for what they are producing, and for relatively little money, suggests that the potential is there for even greater coffees!
Gouezeri

Postby espressomattic » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:44 am

Gouezeri wrote:definitely feel privileged to have shared some of that sample with you then and in good company too! That is what coffee like that is really about for me, it is "event" coffee, and in that manner, it is definitely worth the money!

Second that one brother, twas a year ago you realise. I really did feel for you on that train mate, but we made it! I am not sure how, but we made it!!!! :D

But yes it was a great day and a great day to share that memorable Esme. Very special indeed. (Looks whimsically up to the sky and smiles)
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:52 am

One year ago :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby fred25 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:18 pm

Bean_Believer wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:You prefer a Brazilian? ;)
Hmmm... something tells me Cakey's not talking about coffee :shock: :lol:

I think it's potentially too hairy a subject to be going in that direction :? :D
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:21 pm

fred25 wrote:I think it's potentially too hairy a subject

Have you met Mark then? :wink:
Gouezeri

Postby fred25 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:08 pm

before or after his brazilian? :P
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Postby Beanie » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:34 pm

fred25 wrote:before or after his brazilian? :P
Who cares? :lol: But I'll pay for him to get one :shock: Heck, I'd pay for any man to get one done just for the simple pleasure of hearing the sissy screams :twisted:

Erhmmm what were we talking about before? :P Oh yeah, to relate back to the thread.... would you rather drink a reaaaally bad cup of coffee of a variety you don't even like or get a brazilian?
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby bluevalentine » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:42 am

Beano's experience with Monsoon Malabar echoes mine with Costa Rica Tarazzu. As an SO I bloody hate it but it does find a definite place in blends, keeping things interesting with a little sharp 'kick' on the back palate. Thanks also Beano for your comments on Terezinha, I've been trying to isolate that nuance for months - it's fennel, you're right. Actually, I don't mind it.

Love El Salvador Finca la Fany, for deffo one of my 'Desert Ireland Coffees' - for me it's the ultimate SO, just shading Cuba Lavarda Turquina.

Big no-no for me is La Manuela. I find it a 'nothing' coffee.

F-in good job we don't all like the same thing! 8)

You have to try these things. But when you end up with 1.75 kg of something you hate it can be a tad tedious. Best maybe to buy 250g to sample.
Reneka Techno V2M / Anfim doserless grinder / HotTop KN8828P / Reg & Espro / 3 French presses + Bialetti + Turkish ibrik + filter + Aeropress
In extremis I munch the beans

Coffee falls into the stomach ... ideas begin to move... shafts of wit start up like sharp-shooters, similies arise, the paper is covered with ink ...
Honore de Balzac
bluevalentine

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping