How often do you get coffees you don't like?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

How often do you get coffees you don't like?

Postby Lambo » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:08 pm

How often do peeps order coffees that sound enticing from the description, but then don't match your individual tastes/palate?
Had some Rwanda Crop of Gold Amizero recently and I just couldn't get to like it, unfortunately.
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

RE: How often do you get coffees you don

Postby Odello » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:50 pm

In Italy too often. Because the blend served in the coffee bar is old, because the barista is not able to extract it properly and so on, many many different reason. Sometimes because when you enter a coffee bar you expect to find the brand indicated inside and you discover something else is actually used and served...
* Freelance journalist for Coffee Taster (IIAC's newsletter), Mixer, L'Assaggio
Odello

Postby grib » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:01 am

Try living in Northern Ireland, I don't want to seem harsh but I make a rule to almost not order coffee in a new place anymore, unless recomended by someone online first. I know its a shame and probably doesn't help matters, but when you get a coffee so bad that you can barely swallow the first sip, time and time again it seems the only option.

Has anyone tried complaing/suggestively critiscing bad coffee, I find, here at least, it usually ends up with an angry staff member, more times than an apology/refund or remake.

Andrew
grib

Postby Odello » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:47 am

grib wrote:
Has anyone tried complaing/suggestively critiscing bad coffee, I find, here at least, it usually ends up with an angry staff member, more times than an apology/refund or remake.

Andrew

Here it is almost the same. One I took a coffee at a restaurant close to my home and found some small pieces of used coffee inside. I think it was old coffee coming from the gasket after the cleaning of the machine: I mean they cleaned the machine with the blind filter but did not wash enough with water. I tried to explain that to the owner, she got angry very quickly. My father is not complaining about bad espresso anymore, he just leaves the half of it in the cup, wondering whether the barista will be take care of it and ask the reason or not. He told me only a small percentage asks: "Sir, anything wrong with the espresso", the majority of barista just take the cup, pour the left espresso in the sink and put the cup in the washing machine. Of course while serving the next unlucky customer.
* Freelance journalist for Coffee Taster (IIAC's newsletter), Mixer, L'Assaggio
Odello

Postby bruceb » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:17 pm

I've written so much on this subject that I don't really feel like adding much here. I've written it off as a lost cause. I even went to the effort of giving a talk to the staff of a coffee-house chain here, but all that I achieved was that now I get dirty looks if I go into one of the places. I don't drink coffee anywhere but in my own home these days.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Lambo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:41 pm

I didn't mean walking into a coffee shop or whatever and ordering a drink - I meant buying a bag of fresh beans, making the coffee yourself at home and then finding out you don't like it.
It's rather deflating when it happens - "Is it me? Have my taste buds gone? Did I get the temperature wrong etc. etc."
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby grib » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:12 pm

Whoops sorry, my bad. Yea that happens me alot roasting Kenyans, I love gethumbwini, but 4 times out of 5 it tastes awful, its a real shame its one of my favourites.

Andrew
grib

Postby Lambo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:32 pm

Another Gethumbwini addict! Yay!!!!
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby Bertie_Doe » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:56 pm

We really are spoilt for choice with the number of varietals and blends available. It took me six months to find a couple that I enjoyed. I now stick to just 3 favourites. In competitions, I guess the taste judges have to be very experienced indeed - I could never judge objectively.

If I was served a Kona, I guess the competitor would get very low marks from me. It's funny, I just don't like it. If tried it at all stages of roasts and it always comes out too bright for me.

QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby grib » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:28 pm

I got some Kona from Steve before christmas, it was our family after-dinner coffee on christmas day. I was probably more exited about it than most of my gifts and had the rest of the family hyped up too. Most of them, myself included thought it was nice (although I didn't find anything special in it, prob down to my roast tho) but my fiancee hated it. Interestingly enough she cannot stand colombian coffee in any form and can even tell if I include it in a blend or if we are out somewhere and it is being served.

Andrew
grib

Postby Beanie » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:40 pm

What 'typical' origins of coffee does your fiancée like then, Andrew? Or rather, the tastes she prefers?

If we're NOT talking about 'bad quality' then, it's very few that I didn't like. I'm not a fan of Monsooned Malabar as an SO but find it can be useful in small amounts in blends. Other than that, I have an aversion to anything with liquorice-type tastes (aniseed, fennel, ouzo, etc) so have had difficulty with the Brazilian Terezinha as it seems very full-on to me. Unfortunately, I seem to be able to detect that liquoricey taste however minute it may seem :( Even worse, I seem to have a knack for extracting liquorice-qualities (even when it's not listed in the descriptors) or at least amplifying its presence :(
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby bruceb » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:52 pm

Lambo wrote:I meant buying a bag of fresh beans, making the coffee yourself at home and then finding out you don't like it.

I don't buy coffee I don't like. Image

I don't think I've ever really experienced this. What happens to me is that I like a coffee to start with, but either grow tired of it or my taste changes and I don't care that much for it anymore.

I don't enjoy Kenya coffees in espresso at more than 30% of a blend, but since I know that it's easy to avoid.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Beanie » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:26 pm

bruceb wrote:
Lambo wrote:I don't buy coffee I don't like. Image

I don't think I've ever really experienced this. What happens to me is that I like a coffee to start with, but either grow tired of it or my taste changes and I don't care that much for it anymore.

Hmmm... but how do you know you don't like it if you don't try it? And how do you try it before buying it? ;)

Oh... and the beans I bought were green... occasionally, got to treat myself to roasted... but that was not as often as I would have liked :(
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby grib » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:56 pm

Brazilians, like daterra or chachoeira bourbon, I think its possibly the sweetness in those come through a lot more. Also the aftertaste in the colombian and the kona is a bit closer to the "traditional" joe public coffee aftertaste, I think anyway and before I started down the speciality route she didn't like coffee at all.

BTW Tesco Finest beans are probably collectively some of the worst I've ever tasted, regardless of origin. Did some blind cupping with freshly roasted and tesco versions of a the same beans (as close as possible) and it was really obvious before even taking a drink, which was which. Such is the problem with supermarket coffee.

Andrew
grib

Postby Beanie » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:41 pm

Mmm sweet... good :) She might enjoy the El Sal La Fany :D Have you tried any of the Col. COE's? Oh had a really really sweet Rwandan at a local espresso bar yesterday...
Beanie

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping