How often do you get coffees you don't like?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:42 am

An excellent idea BV, 'Desert Island Coffees'. I shall start a thread and we can all have some fun thinking that one out :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby HughF » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:10 pm

BV : I bought 250g of La Manuela and really liked it, bought 2Kg and it was never as good in spite of trying different roast levels... weird.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby petikas » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:33 pm

I get coffee that I don't like more often than I'd like. You see I live in a coffee desert dominated by mediocre to bad coffee. You know that your options are limited when the best coffee you had is the commercial (god knows when roasted) Hausbrant. The thing is that I tried coffee from shops that either roast for themselves or have coffee that was roasted 1-2 weeks before (or so they claim) and it always tastes bad, ending with more sink shots than drinkable ones. Also I'm having consistency problems with the locally roasted coffees, while my pours with Hausbrandt are quite consistent. Taste wise hausbrant coffee is not something to write home about but it's better than everything else I tried and certainly better than what you get in cafes around here.

And a funny (sad) story now, a few days ago I was in Limassol and saw this really beautiful cafe called Pi. I noticed that they had a nice looking 2group expobar and were using a commercial 3 kilo tin of espresso beans on their grinder so I though I'd give it a try. I ordered a double espresso and when my order came I pondered wether I should laugh or cry. I got an 8-10oz cup full to the brim of a fluid brown substance that looked like what you get when rinsing yesterday's french press. I stared for a few minutes and against better judgement I decided to taste it! It tasted like bleached charcoal and had an intense metallic taste that I mere words can't really describe.
PID Gaggia Classic/Mazzer Mini E
Reg Barber tamper/Grindenstein knockbox
petikas

Postby bruceb » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:04 pm

Condolences, petikas. It sounds like they send their bariste to the local cafés here for training. :roll: :cry:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Beanie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:14 am

Hey blueV, loooooong time :D You're welcome :D Unfortunately, the 'fennel' is more than a nuance for me :( On the Terezinha, it almost overwhelms everything else :( I can't even remember what else I may have tasted on it because of that licorice (yes, it's a word because I decided it is :P)

:lol: Desert 'Ireland' :lol: Love it! I really miss the ESLF :(

I like the Manuela but mostly used it in blends as a 'base'.

BlueV... I tend to 'give away' my least favourite SOs as gifts. It's great to home roast and friends/neighbours are really, REALLY appreciative recipients :D

Petikas... you worry me. How do you know what bleached charcoal tastes like? :shock:
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby petikas » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:12 am

Bean_Believer wrote:Petikas... you worry me. How do you know what bleached charcoal tastes like? :shock:

Well, I'm assuming it's like burnt toast with the smell of bleach. :!:
PID Gaggia Classic/Mazzer Mini E
Reg Barber tamper/Grindenstein knockbox
petikas

Postby bluevalentine » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:02 am

Beano, ESLF? Quoi?
Reneka Techno V2M / Anfim doserless grinder / HotTop KN8828P / Reg & Espro / 3 French presses + Bialetti + Turkish ibrik + filter + Aeropress
In extremis I munch the beans

Coffee falls into the stomach ... ideas begin to move... shafts of wit start up like sharp-shooters, similies arise, the paper is covered with ink ...
Honore de Balzac
bluevalentine

Postby Beanie » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:55 pm

ESLF - El Salvador La Fany :P can't you just let me be lazy? :P
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby bluevalentine » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:23 am

Sorry, Beano, I thought you were referring to my 'desert Ireland' - Elementary Slip, Like, Freudian
Reneka Techno V2M / Anfim doserless grinder / HotTop KN8828P / Reg & Espro / 3 French presses + Bialetti + Turkish ibrik + filter + Aeropress
In extremis I munch the beans

Coffee falls into the stomach ... ideas begin to move... shafts of wit start up like sharp-shooters, similies arise, the paper is covered with ink ...
Honore de Balzac
bluevalentine

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping