blown away by this espresso !

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

RE: blown away by this espresso !

Postby Chrisweaver » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:00 am

argh, we have had a few problems with city link, namely late deliverys, plus when my girlfriend bought me an Iroast for xmas, city link left it on my doorstep all day, cause no-one was in, full view of the street... that bugged me!!
Chrisweaver

Postby Bren_D » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:43 pm

Mmm :)

I wouldn't say I was blown away by it, but even in my hands it makes a lovely shot and is a blend I'll come back to once in a while.

I ordered on Saturday, had an email yesterday about the dispatch and was drinking the coffee this morning. I can't moan at that.
Gaggia Classic, Iberital MC2, Dualit grinder, a rather sexy Reg Barber and a collection of various press and moka pots. Oh and an Aeropress :)
Bren_D

Postby BazBean » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:40 pm

my personal preferance is a long, long cooling flush .. 20 seconds on the Spaz and what surprised me was a lighter load than I usually pack into the P/F

cant tell you exact weight as we are fly by the seat of pants style baristas but brim full P/F minus about 2 gms.

if you got a bit left .. give it a try and swear at me if i have wasted your precious beans
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby BazBean » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:42 pm

I just got another KG this week, I will send 16g if it tastes pants !! :shock: :wink:

might be a little fresh and lively as well
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Aadje » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:20 pm

While you were away you did lose some advantage Beany. . .

edit: sorry, forgot to read page 2 . . . :oops:
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Re: RE: blown away by this espresso !

Postby Bertie_Doe » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:19 pm

Chrisweaver wrote:argh, we have had a few problems with city link, namely late deliverys, plus when my girlfriend bought me an Iroast for xmas, city link left it on my doorstep all day, cause no-one was in, full view of the street... that bugged me!!

Ordered 8Kg of green beans from HB yesterday at 10.30am arrived this morning at 11.30am via Fedex. 25hrs, is this a record? is this a .......

QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby JonS » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:19 pm

Got 750g in this week based on Baz's recommendation

Overall, it's very nice, using my now trademark tiny dose (around the 13g mark) fine MXK grind and hard tamp. Though with this blend, I get a good sized pour. It's got plenty to give up.

Lovely texture and colour in the cup from a spouted pour, and very nice in the mouth, though I'm still undecided on the best temperature to brew at.

My only disappointment was blowing the first bag completely by running it through that Mazzer of mine after fitting the new burrs. Coffee stuck to everything, and no chance of a decent shot. Bah.

One thing I wasn't clear on was whether James Gourmet Coffee roast to order or not ? There was no roast date on the bags, and the order email didn't really say. Anyone know for definite ?

Definitely worth a try.

Jon

Edit: Forgot to say, it also made a damn fine cappa this evening, the first milk drink I'd tried with it.
JonS

Postby AlexV » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:37 am

I'm sure the Formula 6 is roasted once a week, on a friday. I find it a bit strange that they don't put the roasting date on the bag. The Formula 6 makes a great cappuccino, but I prefer his Caffe Mille' for straight espresso.
Cimbali Junior 21, Macap MXT900, Mazzer Kony GOD, Vacuum Coffee Saver
AlexV

Postby JonS » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:50 pm

Interesting, thanks for that.

Yes, I had to look several times for a date, I had just assumed genuine "gourmet" and "roast date" would go together. Instead, there was just a roast batch code. "PR" in my case, IIRC.

I guess I am now destined to try the Cafe Mille at some point as well now you've mentioned it !

Jon
JonS

Postby Chrisweaver » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:27 am

ha haa..just to clarify, We get a hasbean delivery once a week, and it tends to be perfect, the only time we ever have an issue is with Citylink, I noticed our delivery this week was fedex, and it arrived even faster than normal :)
Chrisweaver

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping