Mexican Beans....not bad at all

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Mexican Beans....not bad at all

Postby espressomattic » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:56 pm

Chaps

I have recently stumbled across a supplier of some Mexican Organis Beans...farm and origin unknown!

Here is what I found if it is of any interest...

250g taken to Med Dark roast over 19.5 mins at 230 Deg final temp.

Grounds: Strawberry/Almond/Vanilla - Very sweet aroma

Shot: Sweet Aroma/Mild nutty flavour/Peanuts/Almond

Flavour: Mild WIne/Sweet acidity/Balanced Earthyness/Peanuts/Very clean cup

Light mouthfeel light body

$16 p/KG - £6.40 p/KG Pretty cost effective if you ask me....but that is another debate! ;)

--------------------------------------------------------

Pretty interesting bean really and it stands well as an SO IMHO.
Anybody else have any experience of Mexican beans they care to share as it is a bean not often discussed.

Matt
espressomattic

RE: Mexican Beans....not bad at all

Postby BazBean » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:41 pm

That’s interesting Matt.
I have only ever had a "generic" bean which was some time ago and I assumed that as the quality was not that great no one wanted to add a name. I say this not be disrespectful to the region but as i don’t hear a lot about Mexican coffee I have to say it’s probably more my ignorance and having such a selection i don’t look too far now out of laziness I suppose.

As I have a local friend who owns a Mexican restaurant was asking me for if i could help recently and all I could suggest was alternates, so I will be following the post with interest myself here.
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

RE: Mexican Beans....not bad at all

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:54 am

They do sound good Mitty; can you find out from the supplier if they have or can get any more info? :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Richard » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:22 pm

I'm trying to 'keep-up' by reading a little more of this forum every day. Mexican beans don't seem to come-up in conversation very often.

Is there a reason ?
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Aeropress. Swiss Gold Modified.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Postby espressomattic » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:25 pm

Don't know really. Strange really since they are the worlds largest producer of Organic Coffee.
espressomattic

Postby Richard » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:43 pm

I found a UK dealer who has a Mexican bean called 'Altura' at £7 per kilo but it isn't described as 'organic'.

Worth a try and do Mexican beans become distinct because of their nationality ?

Don't know why I'm asking the question really, it's time I settled with a bean I like then branch-out slowly rather than the approach I took which was to buy every bean in sight then end-up confused because of the remaining variables that can affect the same bean-type.

Inviting more confusion at my age is asking for trouble. Ok, I'll skip the Mexican Altura though please answer the question.
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Aeropress. Swiss Gold Modified.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Postby espressomattic » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:41 pm

I have tried only two mexicans, one was nearly three years ago when I was starting out. I don't really recall what it was like.

Do they become distinct because of their nationality? Well to bee honest you could say that about any bean, such as Sumatran, Kenyan etc. I don't really know to be honest.

I would give it a go, I mean it could be the bean you settle on eh?

Matt
espressomattic

Postby bruceb » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:56 pm

I bought 6 kilos of "Mexican Maragogpe" (no more description than that) about 3 years ago and it has been very good, reliable and easy to roast in the HT. It is bright and flowery (still) with a lovely chocolate aftertaste and a creamy mouth feel. I have always thought of it as something quite special. I mentioned it on A.C. a few years ago and asked what I should blend it with and Ivo said "Why blend it?), so I have always had it as an S.O. I still have a small bag of it, I think.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping