Buying bulk green beans

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Buying bulk green beans

Postby Narra » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:03 pm

I am looking to buy green beans in bulk to blend/roast myself for use at my coffee outlets.

Other than ringing the plantations and getting them to ship beans to me is their any other way I can get hold of bulk green coffee from an importer in the UK?

There's online wholesalers in the States and Canada but for them to ship to the UK is expensive

I'm guessing the standard sack weight is about 20kg's?

Thank you for any guidance.

Paul
Narra

RE: Buying bulk green beans

Postby lukas » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:06 pm

Welcome to the madhouse Paul!

A Coffee Sack is normally 60kg, with some being 50 or 70 if I remember correctly. You might want to contact Mercanta, as they are importers of mighty fine coffee. Cakey, if this counts as secret advertising, please remove :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Narra » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:49 pm

Thank you for the welcome lukas!!

That was exactly what I was looking for.

Ill give them a call.

Paul
Narra

Postby BazBean » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:43 pm

Greetings Narra.

Whats your journey into coffee obssesion then?
we love to hear the camp fire storys.......
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby bruceb » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:05 pm

Do you roast in shop? What kind of roasters do you use? Tell us more! We're a curious bunch. :wink:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Narra » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Hi BazBean!!

Ive own/operate a coffee franchise business and was looking at the pro's v con's of producing my own coffee versus my current situation. (Using a major)

I like the idea of being in control of my product and also the lower cost of producing the coffee myself. Also with our exposure to our everyday coffee customers there is scope to sell the beans to them either on site or via the interweb.

Im looking at either the
Has Garanti http://www.hasgaranti.com.tr/tabletoproasters.php
Toper Cafemino or
Pinhalense http://www.pinhalense.com.br/equip-i-tmc.htm

Anyone have any experience in small to medium roaster??
Narra

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:43 pm

Welcome Narra :)

We have a smaller Pinhalense sample/batch roaster as per sig. It is a nice piece of kit. It depends on whether you have or wish to spend the time not only roasting but developing your blends/profiles.

Lukas wrote:You might want to contact Mercanta, as they are importers of mighty fine coffee. Cakey, if this counts as secret advertising, please remove ;)

Not a problem at all. It's only advertising when people work with/represent a firm or are self promoting their own business. Mercanta are a top supplier and a good recommendation :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Narra » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:53 pm

I spoke to Grant at Mercanta today and he was extremely helpful.

Not patronising at all and full of helpful advice.

Your right lucas the sacks are 60kg's!!!

He recommended Probat Roasters and Deidrich Roasters.

As with all coffee related purchases you have a set budget and then completely annihilate it as you find out more and more...!!
Narra

Postby Jasonscheltus » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:03 pm

As well as Mercanta there is also a company called Wakefields, or D.R. Wakefields:

http://www.drwakefield.com/home.asp

-jason
Jasonscheltus

Postby Si2013 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:51 pm

Mod's Edit: Advertising removed. Please see non-commercial posting policy in FAQ, or in the joining information on the front page.
Si2013

Re: Buying bulk green beans

Postby CoffeeTooMuch » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:23 am

For those who might interested, the following discussed the benefits and side effect of green coffee beans.

Mod's Edit: Removed links to single external website. Excessive promotion of own site to the point of exclusion of content in post.
CoffeeTooMuch

Re: Buying bulk green beans

Postby Coffee Mate » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:38 am

Mod's Edit: And here are the forum guidelines. You are very welcome to become a sponsor but we ask you to otherwise please respect the rules. Incidentally, you may place a link to your business in your signature but let's please not turn that into surreptitious advertising. I am sure people will see it's a shop if they choose to click on your link. Perhaps you would kindly choose a single link and edit accordingly. Your consideration is very much appreciated. Thank you.
Coffee Mate

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping