Costa Rica Amapola Tarrazu (Beneficio Palmichal)

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Costa Rica Amapola Tarrazu (Beneficio Palmichal)

Postby bruceb » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:32 pm

I've had 5kg of these greens for some time. They're from the 06/07 harvest and I hadn't gotten around to roasting them until now. I even tried cupping them against the Yirg that is my de facto standard for my own taste. I roasted them just into second crack for cupping and then into rolling second for espresso.

I was surprised at the lemon flavour in the cup and was pleased to be able to detect it in the espresso. There is definitely a floral note, but it gets lost or covered up by the chocolate tones in the darker roast. Those chocolate tones, however, are delicious. I think a lighter roast would make this very bright, but that's not really what I enjoy.

The one disappointment is the aftertaste. It's quite lovely, but only lasts about a minute and then completely disappears.

I'm going to start using this in some espresso blends with the Columbia Bucaramanga that I have been storing for some time. I think this CR will definitely add a positive note to my blends. It's very nice as an SO and if you enjoy a zesty, clean, bright coffee for the French press or Aerobie this might just be your cup of coffee. :D

Edit: Added picture and corrected typo
Attachments
CostaRica_01.jpg
Costa Rica Amapola Green and rolling 2nd crack
CostaRica_01.jpg (17.25 KiB) Viewed 3582 times
Last edited by bruceb on Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Costa Rica Amapola Tarrazu (Beneficio Palmichal)

Postby BazBean » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:27 pm

Nice in depth cupping review Bruce.

I wish I had some as I would love to sample it via the light roast profile to pull that floral and zest and then add it to some Brazil Cachoeria to create a post blend. I rearly have flashes of inspiration for blends but for some reason this just sang to me while I was reading your notes !!.
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

RE: Costa Rica Amapola Tarrazu (Beneficio Palmichal)

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:18 pm

Without wishing to repeat myself yet again, I will never forget your Yirg roast Bruce. It was totally different than any profile I had previously experienced with Yirg. It was also stunning and delicious. I totally get what you are describing with the Costa Rica, understanding as a result of that roast what you generally strive for in your profiling. It sounds great and very versatile :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping