Nepal coffee

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Nepal coffee

Postby JulieJayne » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:48 pm

Simply a question, does anyone know of a good source for good Nepal Coffee.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

RE: Nepal coffee

Postby ivdp » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:38 pm

A good sure sure, but good Nepal??
Does good Nepal exist? Or, a Euro 20/kg coffee should be better than a Euro 10/kg ??

Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

RE: Nepal coffee

Postby Steve » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:45 pm

LOL very true Ivo good Nepal is rare for sure.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby JulieJayne » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:53 pm

Hey guys, good Nepal does exist. In fact exceptional Nepal does exist. I bought the last of it from Jan recently.

It may not qualify for "coffee experts" as good, but I go by my own taste buds and the response of my customers. Nepal was a surprise and a hit. I am prepared to try any Nepal, as the taste is the only valid measure.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby Steve » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:43 pm

Ohh for sure Julie I'm sorry if it came across rude. I've also tasted great nepal, in fact we had some last year, but it is quite rare.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:57 pm

Steve, do you remember that Nepalese (coffee!) I had four or five years ago, around when we first met? I think I got it from an importer in Edinburgh. I also think I sent you a sample too. The importer was a representative of the grower IIRC, not an independent. I'll see if I can dig out the details.

Like as not they're not there any more anyway.

(A little later)

I've just mounted an old Windoze disk and found the email, from July 2003. The supplier was Doi Chaang coffee and the representative was in Edinburgh (a lady called Joanna Critchley). A quick check on www.doichaangcoffee.com shows that their representation is now in the US.

Well, that didn't help did it?

However I think I remember both Steve and I thinking that this coffee was a bit summats and nowt. Admittedly both of our cupping skills have come on a ways since then, but still I think the overall impression would still be sound.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:46 am

WOW thats a blast from the past Phil. I do remember it not being all that also remember Eward not being that keen,

As I said I have seen some ok since then but that is a blast back to a time.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby bruceb » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:58 pm

My wife is a fan of Nepal, Lhasa, Tibet, etc. and we've had Nepalese coffee 3 times, once roasted, twice green. The roasted was not fresh and I attributed the poor flavour to that fact, but when I roasted the greens they also were somewhere between mediocre and bad. One batch was "baggy," but the other smelled fine and looked good, but the taste was so bad I tossed the rest. I would be interested to hear if anyone has good experience and a source. However, the little I know about how they are grown, harvested and the tradition, or lack of, I am not expecting much.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby BazBean » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:37 pm

this one got me thinking. there is obviously small pockets of decent stuff produced but most posts seem to conclude they are far and few.

why would Nepal not have decent coffee anyhow ? it seems to have altitude and adequate climate etc ?

That region of the world seems to favour mass produced Robusta so maye thats a clue.
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Steve » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:30 pm

I think much is in the processing Baz and thats so vitally important (just like the roasting and the barista skills) but also it fetches a premium without that extra work to make it good, so many don't do it. the pockets I guess are those just like we have here will go that extra mile because its their passion and personal self respect.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:40 pm

I remember Joanna. She did not really appreciate the truth. Then again, people say they want to hear criticism, but what they really want is praise! :-)

Out of politeness I even paid her 10 quid for cost of beans and P&P. Mind you... it was only 250g of beans or so! :roll:
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping